Pinto Oil Pump Priming

Andy Spencer

All

Gradually getting there with the 2 litre pinto rebuild, fitted the new oil pump and shortened pick up pipe today. As per instructions, I filled the new Kent Cams oil pump with engine oil, but it's all leaked out again. What's the best way to properly prime it?

Andy

Guest grahamdale5

Fill the pump with vaseline and it will be ready for the start up. i,ve done this on numerous V8's in the past and also on my Pinto.

It primed straight away after a year lay up.

The vaseline will be dissolved by the oil as soon as it hits it. Use it on cams as well.

Don't use any form of grease, it will prevent the oil getting to the critical parts.

The pinto pump will suck up oil and effectively prime itself. Don't want to run the engine 'dry' while it's doing this? Remove the dizzy and down that hole is a hex drive to the pump. Rotate clockwise with a suitable socket on an extension till the filter is full and oil is coming out the spray bar. Replace dizzy.

Nigel

Two ways to do this, both correct, I use the vaseline as its perfect being petrol based etc.It really cranks the psi out of everything.Also making a old gutted distributor into a tool you can run with a drill works great minutes before cranking.That or putting a tool down to run the pump.I pre fill the oil filter, let it soak for a few seconds then top it up again , before screwing it on.Run the oil pump until oil is seen up top as suggested too, a good suggestion!