Sliding Pillar

steve_wilson

Having got through the SVA in December my first day out in it was the 1st Janurary (today). We are grinning from ear to ear, we've not stopped smiling since 9:00 this morning and we've just got back at 3:00 and thanks for all the help we have being given over our build especially Steven Knaggs and the lads in the North East who helped with advice during the latter stages of the build. The only issue we have is the front sliding pillar arrangement, i understand that it is not the most sort after set-up, the front end seems to bounce, i would like to go for the double wishbone conversion but it might be 12-18 months before i have the finances to do this. Does anyone know of any other spring arrangements which may be a bit softer than the red springs supplied in the kit?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Thanks, Steve :rolleyes:

if you go too soft your problem will be the inside of the wheel touching the bottom bracket

i would leave it a while and let it settle down before you play

it isnt the ideal set up but they do work ok!

Guest mark kingston

what tyre pressures are you running at??

I have 17 psi on my sliding pillar set up.

As previously said it will settle down with a little time and become less bouncy.

Guest Petemate

Hi Steve

FWIW. My SP 2b had now covered just over 2000 miles since build. Although the front is much harder than the back, generally the handling is pretty good considering. I have the 15" RH Aray wheels with 195/50 Pirellis. The only problem I have is caused by over-braking due to having those big XR calipers/discs AND! servo. on quick choppy roundabouts under braking it tends to jump about a bit but I've got used to it now. I'm seriously thinking of removing the servo. It still goes round bends and roundabouts very nicely. Now it has "settled" there is a small portion of the shiny bits at the bottom of the pillars, so it must be working. A greasing is well overdue, after which it may settle even more.

HTH

Pete

Guest mark kingston

mine has been on the road now since september 2001 and i have checked the greaseintg regularly but it has as yet not used any at all.

mind i did mod the design slightly when i built mine and binned the rhe supplied prosbronze bush assemble due to te excessive cleareance they had on the shafts and fitted a custom made part with standard off the shelf available graphite impregnated phos bronze bushes.

Guest salty_monk

Don't go any softer, after a few thousand miles hard driving they go soft anyway.

There is not much in the way of movement with the pillock setup & they always bang & crash.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a link to a company doing big spacers that would move the wheels out enough so there is no danger of the bottom of suspension touching inside of the wheel, problem we've all had... an Ozzie cars (ferasprint??) has that set up & seems to work well though he had a problem with swept wings touching the wheel due to now getting too much travel... could be worth a look. Cheap upgrade!

Also, if you can weld them & the brackets yourself the Wishbone conversion needn't be too expensive. I reckon you could do it for £200 - £250 incl the shocks...

:)

Guest feralsprint

we spaced out the front wheels using these spacers, we found we needed to come out about 35mm to clear the inside of the rim and as salty said we now can get the tyres to rub on the clamsheel guards at the front and we are toying with the idea of raising the front spring rate a little to overcome this, with a small bump rubber placed under the bottom of the pilar to stop the clunk rattle when the wheel goes down and the inside of the rim being cleared the front end is now very quiet

wheelspacers002.jpg

Jon