Jump to content


Community user
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


garyfelton last won the day on May 13 2014

garyfelton had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

8 Neutral

1 Follower

About garyfelton

  • Rank
    Getting there Builder
  • Birthday 02/19/1958

Previous Fields

  • Car type
  • Full name
    Gary Felton

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Shrewsbury, Shropshire

Recent Profile Visitors

7,196 profile views
  1. The MOT testing manual states If your vehicle was registered prior to 1st August 1978 it only needs one rear view mirror, either interior or 1 wing/door mirror doesn’t matter which side, but must provide a clear view to the rear. If registered after 1st August 1978 it will need two rear view mirrors one of which must be an offside wing/door mirror which must provide a clear view to the rear, the second mirror can be either interior or nearside wing/door mirror and again must provide a clear view to the rear of the vehicle. Search MOT inspection manual, Visibility, for the full version of the above. You could always use cameras and a screen which is acceptable even if somewhat expensive to install. HTH Gary
  2. Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been away for a few days. The VOSA system isn’t the problem here, nowhere when entering the vehicle details into the VOSA system are you told what criteria to test the emissions. The problem lies with the emissions test equipment being used and the date of registration entered/selected. If you enter/select the date of 2004 then the test criteria applied, are as your tester stated. He would need to enter/select the engine age to get the correct test criteria for your car. If he has already failed your car on emissions then you have some options. Ask him to read the manual and test to the correct criteria FOC. If he won’t do this ask him for an appeals form, or go to another test station, both will cost however a successful appeal will result in your money back. I would think if you asked for an appeals form he would get of his arse and either read the manual or ring VOSA, he won’t want VOSA turning up to investigate. Either way I wouldn’t be going back to the original tester for an MOT again as you can’t be sure he is doing the test correctly if he doesn’t read the manuals or understand how to test kit cars. Gary
  3. The system VOSA now use is relatively new and is evolving constantly, I would still suggest your MOT man rings the help line for clarity if he is confused. The testing manual is clear your car should be tested to the emissions limit on the V5C and that is what I would test it at. DVLA have nothing to do with MOT’s so it’s pointless contacting them. If your man doesn’t want to contact VOSA take it to someone else, or contact VOSA yourself, I speak as an MOT tester with nearly 40 years experience, common sense should prevail. I think the confusion here is the registration date, vehicles first registered in 2004 would normally have to meet the standards stated however it’s clear in the manual kit cars are treated differently for emissions purposes, hence the standards printed on the V5C.
  4. Hi, as an MOT tester I’ve copied this from the current online MOT test manual, I suggest you get the tester to read the manual to clear up any issues. If he is still not happy he can contact VOSA helpline for clarity, as for contacting DVLA I’d personally give that a miss. HTH Gary Kit cars Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA). You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c doesn't show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test.
  5. Taken from the latest MOT test inspection manual: Top of page Gaseous emissions You must inspect vehicles with spark ignition engines first used on or after 1 August 1975. You don't need to check: L category vehicles hybrid vehicles – with electric and combustion engines hydrogen fuel cell vehicles two stroke engines – unless they are subject to a catalyst test If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that's older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine. If a vehicle first used on or after 1 September 2002 is fitted with a different engine, you must test it to the emissions standards for the age of the vehicle. If an engine has been modified in any way, it still has to meet the exhaust emission requirements according to the age of the vehicle. A personal import must be tested according to its date of first use. However, if you're shown a letter from the vehicle manufacturer proving that the engine doesn't meet British emission standards you must test to the next lower emission standard. For example, a 1995 car first used in Gambia with a letter from the engine manufacturer stating the engine number and showing that the engine can't meet catalyst emission limits, then use the non-cat limits of carbon monoxide (CO) 3.5% and hydrocarbons (HC) 1,200ppm. For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975: kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998 *bleep*el rotary engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987 Q plated vehicles To prevent the build-up of fumes, the test should be carried out in a well-ventilated area. Kit cars Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA). You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c doesn't show any limits, you must test it to the limits based on the date the vehicle was first used. HTH Gary
  6. The following link advises different, shows how you can get confused as it states 'You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid', however if it has no MOT then you can only take it away for repairs and back for a retest. https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests
  7. As an MOT tester I have been told by the 'man from DOSA' that no one has the power to cancel an MOT. If a vehicle has a valid MOT a fail at anytime before the expiry date does not cancel the existing MOT, however if the fail identifies the vehicle is dangerous to drive in the opinion of the tester this will be indicated on the failure notice and you would be wise not to drive it. As far as I'm aware the rules about preserving the test date have not altered, you still can get a test upto one calendar month to persevere the the test date, ie have an MOT certificate which lasts 13 months. All MOT testers are kept informed of changes via special notices and have to electronically acknowledge they have read them in a specified time to be allowed to keep on testing. I have seen no new special notices so assume nothing has changed. The new computerised system introduced this year has had teething problems and some certificates issued did not show the preserved date, although there is a number you can ring to get this rectified. HTH Gary
  8. A broken spring is an MOT failure, however it is a visual inspection only. I know some BMW springs are partially hidden by a shroud and if the break is hidden then it may not be visible when inspected with the wheels on, so passes. The MOT has a lot of flaws, if a wheel nut is missing it is a failure but only if it is visible, so in theory it's possible to have only one wheel nut holding the wheel on and pass the MOT if the fixing is behind a hubcap, as the tester is not allowed to remove anything. Some components are hidden by covers like engine cover and under trays and therefore can not be fully inspected as nothing should be removed during the test.
  9. Many years ago when I worked for a Renault dealer, we had a customer with an oil leak on his Clio 172. Turned out to be from an oil gallery drilling on the cylinder head and required a new head. He rejected the car as a major component had failed, Renault gave him a brand new Clio 182. Not sure what the law says now but would ask trading standards where you stand. I think the rejection procedure only applies within the first six months, so as you brought in January it may not apply. Get in touch with the manufacturers customer service department and explain the problems you are experiencing and tell them you wish to reject the vehicle under the sale of goods act and see if they are willing to play ball, they may offer you a new car. HTH Gary
  10. Have been the last two years and stayed near Goodwood the night before and traffic is a nightmare if you don't get there early. There is so much to see you will probably not get to see everything in one day so plan what you want to see and make a priority list. Rally stage is good as they really do go for it in some very expensive kit, from old school, Group B classics to modern WRC cars. Crossing the track can be a pain as you have to wait for cars/ bikes to clear the track first so study map so you can avoid if poss,(there is a bridge). HTH Gary
  11. Does the gearstick move when travelling and foot on and off the throttle? If this happens then it could be mountings, not sure if this vehicle has a transverse engine and gearbox or inline. If it only happens at idle then have you got an engine misfire causing the engine to shake? Diesel engines are normally quite smooth at idle these days due to electronic control so unusual to have a mounting problem at idle which has suddenly developed. I know that inline engines in Hyundai terracan's which is a very similar model to yours have problems with leaking injectors. They leak around the base where they seal into the head this causes a misfire and the engine to shake at idle but appears ok when underload. HTH Gary
  12. garyfelton

    Kwik Fit

    I don't think they can do the work and charge you unless they have a contract with you either verbally or written, which you have said you haven't so I would go back and speak to the manager first. Explain that they have changed the wheel bearing without your permission which you believe is without a contract and ask for your money back. If they refuse then contact Trading Standards. I worked in a garage and we did an MOT which failed on a bulb, to save the customer time and having to return we changed the bulb without his permission as he was not contactable, when he returned he refused to pay on the grounds we did not have a contract to carry out the repairs, we had to let him go without paying for the bulb and could not put the old one in as we would then be making the car unroadworthy, It was a brake light bulb. We never did any work without agreement after that incident.
  13. And the Dunlop sticker above the shell sticker on the front panel.
  14. +1 for camcoat cremakrome. Had my manifold done very professional company, they explained the process and will show you around if you ask. Would highly recommend.
  15. I downloaded a print app for my hp printer works perfectly. I am using an IPad though so may be different. HTH Gary
  • Create New...