Weber 2v Carb

Joel

Hi Chaps,

Is it possible to convert the Weber 2V carb to a manual choke? This is one of the carbs that came as standard with the 2.0 pinto, and has the stepper motor and ESCII and all that business.

I know the simple answer is that it's a crap carb anyway, and not worth the bother, but I have 3 of them lying around. I assume I'd also have to change the dizzy to run a basic points system, or whatever it's called :huh:

Cheers.

Joel.

The weber carb that was mated with ESC11 on 2L pintos was 30/34 DFTH and had an electric choke. No reason you can't remove the heating element and fix a choke cable and lever. Not sure I can think of any reason to change the ECU. The supply for the choke was taken from the alternator. There are connections from the ESC11 unit to the stepper motor which controls idle speed and the 'switch-off cycle', and to the manifold heater/relay but it's not involved in the electric choke. I ran one of these with no problems with no electrical connections at all and no choke! Worked fine.

Nigel

I ran one of these with no problems with no electrical connections at all and no choke! Worked fine.

Nigel

Excellent B)

Hypothetically, if I had none of the wiring or electrical stuff related to the ESCII, would the engine still run with a basic loom - i.e. just power to the starter motor / alternator, etc, and no 'brain'? Would I need to change the dizzy?

Cheers.

The Hall effect dizzy you have needs the ECS11 to read its signals and switch the coil plus feed in advance for manifold vacuum and rev changes. If you check you will find there is no mechanical advance in the your dizzy and the manifold vacuum line goes to the ESC11 unit. So easiest to fit a capri or cortina points dizzy or an early sierra inductive dizzy and amplifier, £10 from your local scrappy, both with advance and vac unit built in.

On the carb fiddle with the stepper screw where it acts as the idle stop for the butterfly to adjust slow running and put up with starting enrichment being a couple of dabs on the throttle before you fire up and no problem.

Nigel