Transplant Time

steve in stockport

well as the weather was nice I took the 2B out for a last run on Tuesday, then on Friday I set to with the spanners and a couple of hours later one pinto was out of the engine bay

engineswap002.jpg

engineswap003.jpg

a new bellhousing was added

engineswap005.jpg

and then on Sunday a newly refurbed red top was lowered into position

engineswap009.jpg

still a long way to go, but at least I've finally started

Steve

Hi steve glad you got it started at last . Got mine out yesterday for a quick blast i had a massive grin on my face for hours and so did the kids. i am sure youll soon be at the darlaston in it.

so far the engine has been in and out about 5 or 6 times, bellhousing has been trimmed, drivers side tunnel has been moved in a little and it now sits straight in line, all the fuel injection wiring harness has been removed.

tomorrow its fuel lines and pedal box, Pablo, hopefully i'll get away with reducing the return in the bulkhead to half its size, move the pedal box/servo mount plate back to suit then cut 40mm out of the pedal box and remount so pedals have only moved 20mm. Servo will have to go and MC should clear the carbs.

Nigel I was hoping to take the exhaust under the sump but it looks a bit tight so a cut and turn looks on the cards.

Steve join the queue :D never new pintos were so popular!

Steve

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Boss

Looks good.

Re Servo I have said it before and I will again.

Much nicer brake feel with out the servo once you get used to the argggggg it wont stop feeling.

Ian J

Guest salty_monk

I think Bob Tucker had to go for floor mount pedals in his, slightly diff chassis tho as his is ex slimey pillock.

Hope you have more luck with yours.

Having been on a pro instructed race day (Corvettes) last year & driven their race prepped 450bhp monster one thing (among many) it taught me was how bad my RH was setup in the pedal box area.

I learnt that the Throttle should sit about 6-10mm below the brake pedal when the brakes are fully on. The throttle pedal should have an extender plate fitted to bring the plate to with about 1/2" or closer of the brake pedal. (So it looks a bit like an L written backwards). This allows for much easier heel & toe shifting & also prevents accidental brake/throttle together moments.

It's amazing how much easier it is with the pedals setup right. If you have size 15's you might have to tweak the throttle to brake pedal distance but you should be ok.

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac
I learnt that the Throttle should sit about 6-10mm below the brake pedal when the brakes are fully on. The throttle pedal should have an extender plate fitted to bring the plate to with about 1/2" or closer of the brake pedal. (So it looks a bit like an L written backwards). This allows for much easier heel & toe shifting & also prevents accidental brake/throttle together moments.

It's amazing how much easier it is with the pedals setup right. If you have size 15's you might have to tweak the throttle to brake pedal distance but you should be ok.

Right Dan, the extended pedal does help the heel-toe. Note, though, that there are actually two techniques of heel-toeing, and i would put the throttle at a different level and position, depening on which you use.

Many racers, use the roll to the side method, instead of the traditional heel-toe...especially in the US, since many are grads of Skippy (Skip Barber racing), and Skippy teachs the roll. ie, instead of a true heel-toe, you roll the right foot/leg out to contact the throttle from the side. With this method, the throttle should be a little lower than the brake, as you mentioned, and quite close it. This method can be viewed here (btw, i think the first two are in an Elise):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy9vxvNd1Vk...feature=related

http://ftp.youtube.com/watch?v=cPj9XXW25GA...feature=related

http://ftp.youtube.com/watch?v=8yhcMru5g2U...feature=related

However, a traditional heel-toe doesn't necessarily need the backwards L extended pedal (though it doesn't hurt), nor does the throttle need to be particular close to the brake, nor does the throttle need to be lower than the brake. In fact, i think it easier if the throttle is a bit higher. The throttle does need (obviously) a bit of length (for the heel part). This racer has very nice traditional heel-toe technique:

http://ftp.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4...feature=related

My point is simply that your pedal setup might need to be adjusted, depending on what type of heel-toeing you are planning on doing.

Which did they teach at your class, Dan? Where was the class?

-Scot :)

Guest salty_monk

Scott it was at Roebling in Savannah. A friend of mine instructs there. Prior to the course I knew both techniques & they actually demo'd both. I have small feet so the second method should suit me better in theory but I also have a dodgy right knee & actually can't do that motion without pain.

The first "roll the foot" method is also much easier to master in my opinion, it allows for more control too as the 2nd technique is quite hard to do without it being just a simple stamp to the floor with the heel.

Anyway, just my 2p. By the way - what I did qualified for a big chunk of a race licence.

http://www.sportscardrivingexperience.com/index.php

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac

Yes, the roll is easier to pick up (in fact, is the only one i can do at this point). But i actually like the precision of the traditional method better. It can also be done w/ a greater variety of pedal setups. I and i find it easy to accidently hit the throttle when it as close as it needs to be for the roll. But, yes, i think the preference is very individual.

Roebling...talk about the deep south...other than driving, what the hell were you doing in Savannah?!? (My west-coast/california bias coming out! ;-) Seriously how'd you like the track? Speaking of Georgia, i have heard really good things about Road-Atlanta. It is where the psuedo nationals are held for Improved Touring (class i race in).

You did his two-day class? Great, that gives you 1 of 2 classroom credits needed for a SCCA novice license. If you can complete the novice license before coming up, we could share the Fiero or you could rent a ride for the weekend race. The Fiero can be raced in both ITB and H-Prod, and i normally only do ITB.

-Scot :)