Wiper Wiring

itllbedonesoon

Hi,

Can anyone help with the wiring for a land rover wiper motor to the VG loom (NielD, i saw u mention it in another post)?

I have a landy wiper motor with a 5 pin plug. From the wiper plug red, blue and yellow wires dissapear into the motor and the other 2 pins dissapear into the plastic surrounding the plug.

any one any ideas which landy pins connect to which VG wires?

Cheers,

The old landy wiper is the same as the mini.

Try this, this was in my notes from 3years ago hope its right.

pin 1 blue to VG black, ground.

pin 2 Internal to VG green/brown, park output.

pin 3 yellow to VG blue/green, wiper fast.

pin 4 internal to VG green, 12volt supply wiper park.

pin 5 red to VG green/red, wiper slow.

Jez

Thanks Jez, unfortunately no joy, nothing happened. i tried it on fast slow and intermitent and got nothing on any of them. i also tried it with the motor casing earthed, nothing at all.

As i was unsure of which way round to put the connections to the motor internal pin connections, i tried swapping the VG wires over on your listed pins 2 and 4 and ended up immediately blowing a fuse.

Just to check i am not being an eedyit, i have only tried it with the ignition in position 2, so the elctrics are on. i am getting a live feed on the VG green but will the circuit work in ign position 2 or do i need to start the engine?

if so, i guess:

1 - the wiper motor is duff (it is brand new)

2 - i still dont have the correct wiring

3 - i have a prob in the VG loom and/or stalk.

1 - Can anyone advise on how to test the wiper motor?

Without knowing the wiper motor pin configuration i guess it is hard to, but if someone can advise how, i can give it a go.

2 - can the pins be identified by their continuity or resistance across the wiper motor?

i have continuity across 2 pins and then seperately across 3 pins, with the 3 pins showing different levels of resistance between the 3, if this helps?

3 - when the system is live but not connected to the wiper motor, should i be getting live feeds on the VG slow and fast wires when i click the stalk or does everything need to be connected to make the circuit work? I have definately got live and earth on the VG side, should i be getting live readings from the other wires?

cheers

John

Does your motor look like this pic? If so you can remove the plastic which is held on by a spring clip. Leaves three wires going into the motor. Blue is earth, red speed 1 and yellow speed 2. Connect to a battery to test the two motor speeds. Then you will know if the motor's good.

Nigel

Hi John,

any joy with suggestions, as Phil says the supply power to the wiper motor is through the black/purple at the stalks if this missing the motor wont run.

When you swapped the two internal wires it blew the fuse because when the wipers are parked the park output switches over to ground, with the green wire on here you had a short circuit and popped the fused. Basically when you turn the wipers off and they are not parked, 12volts from the geen wire is fed to the stalks via the green/brown then back out of the stalks to the wiper motor slow feed until the wipers reach park then the switch changes over to ground the green/brown and motor stops.

Other questions you had

Washer bottle not connected shouldn't matter, however if you have two green wires there they should be joined together.

I'd say you wiper isn't duff its probally wiring or stalks.

To check the motor measure resistance across blue and yellow then blue and red each should read low ohms, if you measure red to yellow the reading should be high.

When system is live you should get 12volts on the VG fast and slow wires when you switch the stalks wether connected or not.

Jez

thank you, thank you, thank you!

The wiring was correct as per your original instruction, cheers Jez.

The wiper motor was working, cheers Longboarder.

It was a lack of power to the black/violet on the switches. thanks again Jez.

(i had mixed up the green and the light green/black on the VG side going through the connectors onthe way to the switches. shhh... dont tell anyone).

cheers

John