S3 Rear Shocks

Snapperpaul

Time to upgrade the rear shocks on my S3.

The Zimmer have crushed the bottom bush and the First MOT is due.

I have removed the rear shocks but am struggling with the open and closed lengths as I have a pin top not a bush.

The original springs seem ok for now if they will fit over a set of 1.9 body Gaz

Red 7 used AVO's 16 open 10.5 closed

Measuring my Zimmers I have 9.5 closed and 15.25 open once I take the 1/2" of washers out from under the coil over adaptor.

This is measured from middle of bottom bush to the middle of the rubber donuts and washers in the top mount.

Current spring is approx 180lb (Red) and 9" long.

I understand Gaz have a 1" bumpstop that the Zimmer does not.

I'm thinking 15 open 10 closed

What are people's thoughts/ experience?

• 1 year later...

Funnily enough I'm currently looking into the same thing, however my attention at the moment has been focused on the front end as that will need some thinking to get coil overs to fit the exmo!

By the sounds of if i have a similar setup to you at the back, although ive not yet measured my open and closed lengths.

Although I've not looked into great detail yet (I've just been going from memory) and considering that the top is currently a 'pin' setup and all coilovers have bushes / spherical bearings I was hoping I could fabricate a bracket that bolts to the underside of the top-mount angle and then fit a procomp coil over with spherical bearings at each end.

It might not be as simple as that, but either way I will get some adjustable coil overs on the fronts and back!!