Pain Beyond Belief

richardm6994

I've just been milling the ends of some 50x50 steel angle. I was taking big(ish) cuts as the accuracy wasn't critical, I just wanted to true the ends up.

Wearing googles as I usually do...nothing out of the ordinary when all of a sudden a red hot peice of swarf flies up my nose and melts itself to the inside of my nostril.

With tear streaming down my face, I shove my figure up my nose to try and get the swarf out, but instead I ended up pushing the swarf further up and the result was a cut nostril from sharp edge on the swarf.

At this point the swarf has cooled but the burn is stinging like hell, blood is tricking from my nose and tears are still streaming from my eyes...

20 minutes later I'm stood n front of a mirror with a pair of tweezers trying my best to fish the f*?!ing thing out...still with impair vision from the tears!!

As I'm writing this having my lunch, my eyes are still swollen red and tissue is rammed up my nose! THIS WAS ONLY SUPPOSE TO BE A 10 MINUTE JOB!!!

Sorry to hear of your accident, hope the nose soon feels better.

Looks like you will have to get a full face screen or a mask to cover that area or just take smaller cuts.

These things just catch us out at times without any warning.

I'll be all right! If I wasn't in as much pain I would see the funny side so I thought I'd put it out there for everyone else to have a chuckle at :) I'm sure it could be made into a comedy sketch (like most things I get involved in).

In all the years of bashing metal, I thought weld spatter dropping down your work boot was about the worse it got in terms of non-serious but bl00dy painful injuries....that was until today's episode

When all said and done, it does serve as a reminder how important safety glasses are....in a differnet senario and without glasses it could have been my eye that the swarf melted onto :(

It doesn't matter how much experience you've got, no one can anticipate the unexpected and so protecting your eyes should be as second nature as fastening your seatbelt!

• Like 1

A bloody nose, swollen eyes, impaired vision................sound more like you had an argument with Claire.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pmsl mate, but sounded damn painful. As you say damn lucky as it could have been so much worse.....Hope it wasn't whilst working on the charger :crazy: :crazy:

• Like 1

Hope it wasn't whilst working on the charger :crazy: :crazy:

Your charger has already drawn blood :).......but funnily enough it was a rhocar-related injury.....I was making tie bar brackets for a fellow member. I've decided that because I keep getting asked for them, I would make a small batch of 4 pairs this time instead of keep making them in single pairs.

You could have burnt a brain cell or two. :crazy:

None of them left! DanE's home brew at Stoneleigh kill the last remaining :)

Guest Steamer swmbo

A bloody nose, swollen eyes, impaired vision................sound more like you had an argument with Claire.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pmsl mate, but sounded damn painful. As you say damn lucky as it could have been so much worse.....Hope it wasn't whilst working on the charger :crazy: :crazy:

Oi! I prefer a bar of soap in a sock!