Supercharging A Blacktop Zetec

richardm6994

£450 labor only. All materials, charger etc.....being supplied by the customer.

I'm getting it to the point where the supercharger is bolted to the engine, being driven by the belt and has an outlet and inlet ready for the customer to pipe up to the intercooler (outlet side) and air filter (inlet side).

Also included in my bit is

fitting a smaller supercharger pulley

fitting the pre-charger throttle body c/w cable

fitting the bypass valve

And finally a bit of fabrication on the engine's plenum due to clearence issues.

Basically I'm taking this almost the same point as where I handed Terry's project over to him.

• Like 1

The first job was to fit the smaller pulley.

The M45/65 supercharger that I did for Terry, the charger pulley was a push-fit on the shaft......however the M62 charger has a splined pulley / shaft.

So what I've done is to take the splined hub from the electro-magnetic clutch that was fitted to the charger......turned it down to a smaller diameter.....and then machined the centre of the pulley so that the 2 fit together.

At the moment the hub is a really tight press fit into the pulley, but I'm going to add a couple of spot welds on the back of the pulley just to keep it in place.

th_6607D2F6-DC6D-418B-8717-F7F6E409E62E_zpsu8qrpxvb.jpg

th_1D437BBD-264D-408A-8B7C-FF788C43039E_zps11gj4gu5.jpg

And bit of extra information for those interested in the machining process.........if you were to put the pulley in a 3-jaw lathe chuck and placed a DTI on it......you'd find it never runs 100% concentric no matter how good the 3-jaw chuck is.

3-jaw chucks are used when the work peice you're holding is bigger than your finished dimensions.....therefore the workpeice is 'trued-up' during the machining process / being turned down.

Also, once you start machining your work peice in a 3-jaw chuck....NEVER take the work peice out until all the machining is finished as you will never get it back in the chuck running concentric.

This is all relevant when turning / boring diameters (or drilling down the centre)........facing a work peice in a 3-jaw is far less problimatic.

So....when you're machining something like a pully centre......everything needs to be 100% concentric before you start the machining and a such it has to be done in a 4-jaw chuck and DTI.

With a 4-jaw chuck, each jaw moves independantly by the chuck key, so it is literally just a process of tiny movements of each jaw in the right direction to centre the work peice.......

I find with 4-jaw chucks......sometimes it goes perfect and the workpeice can be running true in a matter of minutes.......other times however it can be a right ball ache of a job.

Edited by steamer
  • Like 2

Well mister Marsh,

managed to give the charger a proper shake down today. Did a 100 mile trip across the peaks today (cracking weather) and had some fun with a VXR8 on the bypass. Even the missus was smiling as I was giving it some proper welly (keeping to the speed limits of course :db: ).....Just managed to keep up on the straight bits but left him for dead pulling away from the roundabouts....Damn this car is quick :crazy: :crazy:

Car and charger never missed a beat...

I'm sure the owner of the Zetec will be suitably impressed.....I am :drinks:

• Like 2

Soft Jaws Mr Marsh, soft jaws. ;)

I use them a lot as they are much better than hard jaws............but nothing is ever as accurate as a 4 jaw set up properly. Just my opinion of course :)

Glad you're happy terry and I'm so bl00dy happy that the charger is running well........not bad for a first attempt :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This supercharger installation is going to be extremely tight!

After a bit of head scratching and 1 bracket already in the scrap bin, I've finally come up with a solution I'm happy with.

This is the front supercharger bracket which ive machined to fit as snug as possible onto the charger and also as close / low to the engine as I can get.

The next thing will be to make a plate that bolts onto the front of this bracket and the front of the engine.

Once the charger position is set, I can then start on the rear brackets.

64BBF93A-B74B-4429-98F7-4855DAD897E5_zpstzu3puu9.jpg

0C2E5A91-0894-4200-975D-9D5BE0902353_zps5j3boxg9.jpg

61A42A47-E24C-42CA-9813-64B4C30AF6B9_zpsmwkmwv68.jpg

F34FA435-D961-4925-A53E-3A8C40BB447B_zps6luqaflg.jpg

04B227FB-8648-453C-960F-D8A691B71476_zpsosw2w2gw.jpg

A5D4BD47-1CFC-47E9-8409-6ED5DB3B085B_zpsvjtkhqvm.jpg

4D459327-EE80-4ACA-AF03-4279BE0BC46C_zpsab4ty92d.jpg

Guest mower man

Tigers are notoriously tight inthe engine bay one I looked at had to take the washers of his pinto w/pump bolts as the boltheads were ticking on a chassis member ! :crazy: mick

Edited by mower man

I've made the plate and tack welded the front bracket. Bl00dy tight but if I can squeeze a v8 into an Exmo then I can get this charger into the tiger :)

With the 2 parts tack welded in place, I will drill and tap a series of bolt holes and then grind away the welds.

Also, the plate will need a spacer behinds it to bring it forward off the engine about 4mm to line up the charger pulley and crank pulley.

Then I will bolting a tensioner to the plate......probably use the same tebsioner as last time as that worked really well.

598FE546-79D5-4C69-92D4-3B04D0C12CA2_zpsak1m7mmg.jpg

52E05A02-05DC-4FD6-AB19-0ACD817F7872_zpswgui8k23.jpg