Terminal Split?

alanh65

Guest 2b cruising

As is well known, Gaffer tape is like "The Force" ...

It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and holds the universe together ... :)

Simon.

Only if you are American. As they always say, "as used in thr shuttle programme" 😀 Edited by 2b cruising

Guest mdav1970

Can we have some pictures of the completed work please when its done...... i have a 3a and with negative comments about them it makes me kind of worried to throw it around, the roads that is not the garage... :mellow: Maybe at Stoneleigh someone could take a look and point out where i need to make strengthening etc..

Here is a bit of an update albeit without photos at the minute;

I've got Allan's car stripped down, straightened up the bent metalwork and have tack-welded the crack shut awaiting the strengthening steelwork. I've decided upon the best way to strengthen up the front end and the material has today arrived so I'm in the garage tonight.

The rest of the car is in pretty good condition from what I have seen so far, however I still plan on going around all of the usual places and checking for cracks and adding in some strength.

I think there are 2 compounding factors as to why the front failed in the manner it did. The first factor is it appears that a previous owner has added some extra welding around the front suspension brackets:- what looks like black sealant in Allan's photo's at the start of this thread is actually black paint on top of mild steel welds. It looks like a previous owner has added extra welding to either to strengthen the front end joints or to possibly repair early cracks?......we'll never know for certain why these extra welds have been added, however the heat from the additional welding has caused the stainless steel around the welds to go brittle - this is where the tear is.

The second factor leading toward the failure is the car is still running the extremely hard suspension set-up at the front which robin hood sold their cars with (180lbs springs at the front and anti roll bar). This hard set-up has put additional strain onto all of the joints around the front which will has contributed towards the stainless tearing.

Which is the main factor out of the above 2 reasons is unclear, but the strengthening I plan at the front will overcome these shortfalls.

Also whilst I've got the car stripped down, we have agreed the following upgrades;

1) new coilovers (with 120lb springs)

2) Tie-bar conversion

I will put some photos up when I get chance.

• Like 2