Rear Suspention.

Guest 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Hi. Has anyone in the club modified a 2b chassis to rear wishbones.

Or does anybody know of anyone that has modified the 2b chassis to rear wishbone.

If it is possible I am thinking of the large weight loss, not just the improved handling.

I've already got coil overs on so it would mainly be the weight loss.

Edited by 2b cruising

You’d still need to mount the diff and the suspension arms to the chassis and have fabricated hub carriers. Sierra trailing arms aren’t exactly light but I don’t think the weight saving would be that great. If weight was you’re greatest consideration, starting with a 2B probably wouldn't be your best option and maybe the handling benefit would be marginal?

Another consideration is that if you started to put a lot of power through the rear end, a traditional independent rear set up with upper and lower wishbones that pivot in a longitudinal plane, would need to be pretty hefty to take the fore and aft load through the wishbone. A more robust setup would use fully trailing arms but on a seven style car, the position of the set tends to limit this design somewhat.

• Like 1

Hi Ken,

I looked at doing this a while back.

There are no obvious points on the chassis to fit the wishbones so

I reckon you'd need to fabricate a frame to support

the wishbones, then fix the frame to the chassis.

It may handle a bit better, but I reckon the weight saving would be negligible.

If it could be done, one of our fabrication experts would already have done it!!

RHE did display a rear wishbone chassis at a show years back, I think based on the

lowcost design, but the design was a fair way off the 2B.

Stop messing with it! drive it & enjoy the sunshine.

Guest 2b cruising

Thanks for the info guys.

I had no intention of having it done till the season end anyway.

I am just testing the water at the moment.

I also realise it would be a massive job completely rebuilding the rear end to get rid of the swinging arms and cross beam.

Hi,

i'm convinced this can be done an is on my list of things to do. I've got the 'build your own sportscar' haynes book which shows how to make the fully independent rear end. I planned on making the rear of the frame as per the book to hold the diff and wishbones and then go about making it fit into the 2b.

I figured if there were pickup points where the current subframe is and also ones going up into the rollbar frame and then some to the rear frame that should be well strong enough.

The main problem i can see is that the 2b springs are further forward than the haynes so there is no pickup for them. I wondered about a strut across but needs more thinking.

Guest 2b cruising

Somebody is kindly donating a set of rear wishbones to me.

When I get those I will start doing some proper research into it.

Thanks for the heads up on the book zed.