Wipers

Guest John Church

Guest John Church

For the last year since the SVA (no screen) I've been dreading having to sort this one out for the MOT ie automatic wiper parking.

The set up of my 2B seems like no other as it uses an Autosparks RHE 5 1998 loom rather than a Vicky Green. It has an RH supplied column stalk with 11 pins and a standard Sierra wiper motor mounted under the bonnet - just like Richard said!

Everything else works - except PARK. The following is a plan of how it is, but how do I get park to work?

Connecting 31B Brown/White (Park) to W2 or W7 blows the fuse.

‘W’ refers to the steering column stalk switch plug number.

W1 > Light Green/Black (Washer Pump)

W2

W3

W4 > Green (53 Wiper Slow)

W5 > Red (53B Wiper Fast)

W6

W7

W8

W9

W10 > Fused Feed

Wiper 53R Black Violet > Fused Feed

Wiper 31 Brown > Earth

Wiper 31B Brown/White (Park) > ????

Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest gordon_macnab

John,

Don't know what wipers your using but if it's mini ones the parking switch is a common fault so this could be the problem. Spares are only as few quid though.

Gordon

Hi John, yes they do need to park for the MOT.

There is a picture of the wiper motor below.

53 is one of the power inputs to the motor (fast or slow, not sure)

53B is the other power input to the motor (fast or slow, not sure)

31 is the 0V Ground connection

53A is +V from the battery switched by the ignition relay

31B is the magic output you need for parking and this is how it works.

When the wipers are parked, the switch shown in the picture is open and when they are on there sweep the switch is closed.

When you start the wipers power goes to either 53 or 53B depending on which speed you want and the wipers move, If you turn them off while they are on there sweep, power flows into 53A through the switch out of 31B and into the slow speed input (either 53 of 53B not sure which one) and the wipers continue to move. When they get back to the park position, the switch opens and the wipers stop in the parked position.

Try feeding power into 53A from the switched ignition and out of 31B into the slow speed input. If the wipers only go fast then try the other input.

post-8-1108727201.jpg

Guest John Church

Guy

Many thanks for the information and it seems that the ID I've got on the motor side of the wires is correct.

My problem is in the connections to the steering column stalk switch ie the W numbers.

Does anyone know the answer?

John,

you seem to have the wiring correct, the black/violet feed supply's power to the brown/white wire from 31B of the wiper motor when the wipers are not in the park position. I assume the switch in the motor is working as you seem to have power on the brown/white, hence blowing fuses when connected up to W2 & W7 on the stalks (these contacts must earth it in the stalk)

Using a meter you need to find out which contact on the stalk links only to the W4 terminal (slow speed) when the wipers are turned off and put the brown/white wire to that. This will then give power from the brown/white wire via the stalk and the green wire to the motor to park when the wipers are turned off on the stalk.

Hope that make more sense to you than me :lol: .

Les

ps. are you sure W4 & W5 are the correct terminals for slow and fast speed? if so the above should be correct :wacko:

Guest John Church

Many thanks for all the help guys.

After much messing around it turned out that the park wire 31B went to W3. The reason why it wasn't spotted earlier was that the contact didn't show up on the test lamp as it has switched off when parked.

W1 > Light Green/Black (Washer Pump)

W2

W3 >Brown/White (31B Park)

W4 > Green (53 Wiper Slow)

W5 > Red (53B Wiper Fast)

W6

W7

W8

W9

W10 > Fused Feed

W11

Wiper 53R Black Violet > Fused Feed

Wiper 31 Brown > Earth

The wipers now park half way up the screen.

Is there any way to adjust where they park - standard Sierra motor.

Regards and thanks.

Hi, years ago I had a sierra that the wipers parked half way up the screen. I seem to remember undoing the conection between the motor and the mechanism, moving the wipers to the botom of the screen, then re-fastening everything. It sounds quite simple, I know! But my memory ain't always perfect!!!! :wacko:

Nicko

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AWhite

Some useful info there, thanks. Would I have the same problem?

Mine park when put on intermittent, but not when switched off via the stalk.

Thanks guys,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blueskygtr

I have had a bitch of a time with this and have had to make my own switching set up!!!

Why?

The park switch on my mini wipers done one thing

Swiched the current to the earth connection :wacko:

So i set up 2 5 pin relays and made the switch work but for the life of me i cant see how this works on a mini loom !! or any other to be honest

Having just re read my post it has just occurred to me that the switch may be knackered ! mmmmmmmmm

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

JAY

Is this any help

Mini wiper motor connections to Sierra loom.

........................Mini ............................. Sierra .................. Output

Pin 1.................Black............................Brown....................Ground

Pin 2..............Brown/Green..................Brown/White..........12v on, park

Pin 3..............Blue/Green........................Red....................12v on, fast

Pin 4.............Orange/Green.................Black/Violet..............Perm. 12v

Pin 5................Red/Green......................Green..................12v on, norm &

......................................................................................... intermittent

If the switch is not knackered, pin 2 does go to earth through the switch when it is parked.

post-8-1111819601.gif