Lightest Chassis's?

Guest Kieran

Hello,

Im thinking of building a "7" styled hillclimb and sprint car, using a Nissan Turbo engine I have kicking around.

Rather than going the usual root of a westfield or caterham, I fancied doing it "on the cheap", either using a Robin Hood Lolocost chassis or perhaps a MK chassis etc.

Anyone know of the weight difference between them?

Also, anyone got any preference between using a Nissan sylvia gearbox or mating the engine to a type 9 Ford? I'd have to source either, the Ford being easiest to source.

What you all reckon??

Regards,

Kieran

<_< id go for the new robin hood "bolton"chassis very light,go to there web site and take a look :D

it only wieghs 57kg nearly half the wieght of a locost :rolleyes:

Edited by rizla

Guest timswait

I wouldn't go for a 2B chassis anywany, that's made from scaffold tube! It's good as a road car but a fair bit heavier than the others you mentioned. I think with regards to the others MK Indy, Luego, Locost, etc they're all pretty similar in weight as they all do much the same. Better to avoid things like the 2B or Tiger's cheapest model (can't remember what it's called) as they reuse the Sierra's IRS which adds weight. That new Robin Hood does look quite sweet though.

One other thing you may wish to consider when choosing a chassis is the likely power output of the engine and the stress it will put on the chassis. :huh:

The thing that swung me for the 2B be was the fact that it was made of scaffold tube and would be strong engough to cope with silly power! :p

I have seen a V8 Westfield on a ramp which needed a new chassis pretty much as the torque of the engine had twisted it etc so bad that all the welds were cracking and falling apart. :o

It certainly put me off westies!

HTH

Stu :D

• 2 weeks later...