Mild Steel & Rustproofing

Guest Darksphere

Guest Darksphere

Noticed the other day that my lovely turn-key 2b has a few rusty spots here and there, so bought touch-up stuff to keep paintwork lovely....

...and then I woke up this morning and realised that it's not only the panels that are mild steel, but the spaceframe too!

So I've decided that Waxoyl and associated stuff are the order of the day... but not having actually built the 2b I have no idea really how the panels go together, and therefore where likely rusty bits will start. Obviously the underside and wheelarches will be a killer, but having read earlier posts I understand that water can creep inside the panels and eat away the spaceframe....

So tell me gents, where do I apply this stuff to keep this monster healthy? Having fought for years with Minis I really want to catch this evil tinworm before it gets a hold.

Thanks for any advice

Darky

Guest peter2b2002

Hi , during my build , every time i drilled a hole in a tube i the put a squirt of waxol into the hole before a rivit + i sprayed waxol inside the pannels where they touch the the sides, so far so good (m/s chassis)

pete2b

Guest wesley_uk2k

I wouldn't worry too much. The wall of the chassis rails is far thicker than that on most kit cars! Should take a long time for rusting from the inside to become a problem. You're best to just keep up on any visible rust spots.

Stuart

Guest AWhite

If you see any rust, treat it with Kurust you can get it from shops such as halfords etc. It kills the rust and turns it black. You can then paint it etc. But your rust is probably not that bad.

Personally i treat all mild steel bits that are not hot with hammerite it stops the rust really well.

I have heard of people with the 2b drilling small holes at the low points to let the water out. But not sure where or how big.

Andy