Multibend Tube

eddieH

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about how the multibend tube is supposed to make up the cycle wing brackets on a 2B/4. The ZEUS build videos show two different style multibend tubes (one on video Z and another on video S) which are cut up differently. Our multibend tube is different again and we can't find anywhere on the videos which shows how to cut it up! It isn't even easy to see how to make suitable brackets without massively altering the angles of the bends. I've put a picture of our multibend tube and the wing bracket below - if anyone knows where to cut it to make the correct brackets, I'd be very grateful for the information. Another thing is that the multibend tube is the same diameter as the cycle wing bracket tube - I suspect we should have had some larger diameter tube (which would slide over the joints and be bolted right through) included in the kit. Or is that something else that needs to be sourced elsewhere? Many thanks for your help. Best wishes,

Edward :wacko:

post-988-1152831845_thumb.jpg

post-988-1152831890_thumb.jpg

Guest turbo

hi mate i think you just have to look at the video again on a different day.

this tube does look right to me and i can see which bit goes where but im afraid i dont know how to draw on your picture to show you ,if you keep looking at it you will get it.

as for the tube,the multi bend tube should slide into the tube thats fitted to the car if it does not i would think they have welded the wrong diameter bit to the stubs or perhaps robin hood just ran out and thought f~~k it

once you see the cuts it works well for the wings.

so to sum up i think you will get it by watching the vids again <_<

cheers Jamie

i would post a pic to show you but my pictures have stopped working for some bizzar reason sorry.

i will try to explane. looking at your picture from the top down you will see 2 bends then a longrt streight your first cut is roughly three quarters down this will give you the first of 4 you need.

now with the cut bit the end at the top of the picture should slide into the front of the tube on your car picture then the 2 bends should bring it round the tyre leaving the longer piece running along the tread of the tyre to which you fit the wing.

then just repeat these steps for the other three.

hope this helps <_<

the above was 2 posts but they seem to have joined together :p

whats happening thats now three :lol: :lol:

:huh:

Jamie, is this right?

cuts yellow

red bits being equal length

post-1397-1152868740_thumb.jpg

must admit i was a bit puzzled when i saw the tube :blink: :huh:

of course i maybe wrong (not again! :lol: :lol: )

ek B)

disclaimer: indicative only, do not scale. :lol: :lol:

Guest crwoodford

Forgive me for a really stupid question cos it looks like you have already built the car? :wacko:

But have you got the right build videos? :o

I'm probably wrong as usual, but the pic of the wheel and bracket looks like a Sub K, in my ignorance I have not heard of a ZEUS? Can someone enlighten me pleeeeese :D

My Sub K video (whereever they are!) do contain the correct instructions (albeit naff). :blink:

Regards

Col (Taunton)

Col,

it's a 2B/4 which came with videos labelled Z, E, U and S (something to do with Richard's dog being called Zeus!).

Jamie and Eric - thanks for that! I see how that would create four identical parts. However, I made a template this morning and held it up to the bracket. Which ever way I position it on the front of the bracket, the bit that should be straight across the tyre is angled sharply into the tread. It does work well for the rear of the bracket (with a slight amount of re-bending). I've watched the videos again which show different multibends (about 1hr 5mins into video Z and 2hrs into video S) and Richard produces simple 'L' shaped parts for the front - I can see how they would work but not how to create those from the style of multibend I have. I'm almost certain that there isn't another bit on the videos as I haven't listed it on the index I made.

What possibly isn't helping is that I didn't fit the brackets that came with the kit. They were just solid bar with a plate welded on. I replaced them for a set of the more substantial ones with tabs which are held by the stub axle pinch bolt. The new ones also have provision for putting a small bolt through into the stub axle to stop any possible rotation.

Oh well, if it was easy then it wouldn't be fun would it? :lol:

Cheers,

Edward

Guest robin

it looks to me as though you have the multi bend tube to use with this type of cycle wing bracket. and looking at your bracket, it looks like an older version that used simpler "L" shaped tubes.

Hi,

Robin - that would make sense! Funnily enough, that won't be the only part we got from RH which wasn't designed to be used with the rest of the kit <_< .

Steve - thanks very much for the offer! We've just about worked out how to cut and re-bend the one we have to produce something reasonable. However, if that doesn't work or we mess it up, we might take you up on that! We'll be tackling that job in the next week so I'll let you know shortly.

Thanks and best wishes,

Edward

Thats not the same as the multibend tube that came with either of my 2B/4 kits.

The welds on my first set of cycle wing brackets broke. I welded them up and the plate then cracked through! I am now on the set from the second kit and I have welded strengthening triangles between the round bar and the plate the mini mcpherson goes through. So far they are standing up to the job, including a week of French back roads last week.

Hi,

just to let you know I got the problem sorted today. I popped in to RHSC this morning to swap my front springs (the kit came with very stiff ones which gave a really harsh ride). I took along the multibend tube and asked if they had one which would work better with my setup. They were really helpful and found one which makes up 4 L brackets and will do the job perfectly. Thanks guys! :D

And thanks for your help with this one - I don't think there can be any questions to which RHOCaR doesn't have an answer! All the best,

Edward