Hood Fittings On The Windshield

Guest mensouille

Guest mensouille

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Mk2 Sierra S7 and this is my first post in this community B) (but according to the key ring I received with my RH, one of the former owners was member of RHOCAR ;) )

Here's why I ask for your help:

I would like to add a Hood Set to my car, but there are no fixings on the frame of the windshield. How can I add them? Any tips, recommandations, warnings?

I have to say that I'm realy scared with the idea of drilling/shattering my screen :D

Thanks!

Ben

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Ben

And welcome to the world of hoods :D

You have a few choices.

1 drill high up the frame avoiding the glass :huh: :o I did this but poppers are not as good as I would have liked.

2 drill to a set depth and tap then fasten with small set screws avoiding the glass.

3 use a U shape profile that will fit over your screen profile with over centre catches the U shape is a perminent fixture to your roof. This makes a waterproof seal

4 and this seems the way forward, caravan awning rail fitted to the top of the screen profile with a sikaflex type sealent. A thick piece of string / co-axe cable stiched into your hood slides into the awning rail, also creating a water tight seal.

When I did mine # 3 & 4 had not been thought of and in heavy rain I have as much water on the inside of the screen as the out side :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HTHs

Guest chris brown
4 and this seems the way forward, caravan awning rail fitted to the top of the screen profile with a sikaflex type sealent. A thick piece of string / co-axe cable stiched into your hood slides into the awning rail, also creating a water tight seal.

When I did mine # 3 & 4 had not been thought of and in heavy rain I have as much water on the inside of the screen as the out side :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HTHs

I'm with Ian on this as I also have poppers and need wipers on the inside of the screen in rain. Go for the awning rail just bend it so as to be a good fit then sika it on and use a system (over centre catches, turnbuckles or lift the dot) to tension the hood or surrey at each side when fitted. I know this is what I will do when I make my next surrey

I tapped 4mm holes into the windscreen frame but now would probably just use Sikaflex as the guys who have used this method seem to find it reliable.

I fitted the awning rail to the front of the screen as I think it gives a neater finish but most seem to prefer fitting to the top.....

LPIC0020.jpg

I used poppers when I build the car, absolutely useless at motorway speeds. The hood raises up and channels the water at eye level :huh:

I have now converted my hood set to an 'awning rail' set-up, much better, completely watertight :D If I had done it that way in the first place I wouldn't have a row of redundant popper holes in the front of my frame :huh:

PICT0262-1.jpg

PICT0262.jpg

Hood fitting can be a tricky job, good luck!

Sean

Guest mensouille

Hi everyone,

thank you for your help! :good:

I think I'll go for the Awning Rail solution but I think I'll place it on the interior side of the frame (without any disrespect to all of you, I don't realy like it at the exterior or at the top :unsure: )

Now, how do you adapt the front edge of the hood to slide it into the rail? :huh:

EDIT: nevermind, just saw this in Ian's post: "A thick piece of string / co-axe cable stiched into your hood slides into the awning rail"

And do you think the "Hood Set" sold on KitPartsDirect would fit my MK1 Sierra S7?

I asked them several times by email but never received any reply <_<

Ben

Edited by mensouille

Kitpartsdirect is Robin Hood (GBS) and as far as I'm aware it's the only type of hood they ever sold for all of their models so should fit. I'm really annoyed that I sold mine as I now want one thanks to another wash out summer. Just gald that GBS is offering them with a 20% discount at the moment.

Robin

Guest chris brown
I think I'll go for the Awning Rail solution but I think I'll place it on the interior side of the frame (without any disrespect to all of you, I don't realy like it at the exterior or at the top :unsure: )

It may be ok on the rear but you will be surprised how much strain it puts on the screen and I don’t think any glue would stand it in that direction of pull or screws/rivets for that matter.

Before you do it get along to a meet or two and chat with others better still come along to Stafford for the show weekend