Bonnet / Scuttle Alignment

Guest craig030774

Guest craig030774

hi having made a seperate scuttle and front flipping bonnet i am struggling to achieve correct shut lines between the bonnet and scuttle. i have added strengtheners to the bonnet by means of bent stainless pipe and by fixing it down with over centre catches.

just wondering how others have over come this

thanks

craig

Guest Ian Marr

CBS do a smaller one which will have less rubber on show, but less able to remove 'imperfections'

BOOT & DOOR SEAL Steel reinforced ‘U’ section SMALL #TRMBS 28mm total height for up to 3mm panels.

(LARGE #TRMBL 42mm total height for up to 5mm panels.)

I've yet to do this and have made matters worse by raking the side cut forward (ie not vertical, but mirroring the other cut of the scuttle) I'm thinking of using angle to form a flat overlap for the bonnet to pull down onto - just not so straight forward for a curve and change of direction :wacko: Using tube to give the scuttle structure/rigidity may be the answer (possibly with a bit of angle to strengthen the long straight 'top' and give a bit of overlap?)

Need to make this a task for the near future :lol:

Guest sadjagboy

I had (have) the same problem. As soon as I cut the bonnet a gap appeared that I can reduce but not eliminate. The trim recommended above is how I'm going to solve the problem. How have people strengthened the opening?

regards

Angus

Guest craig030774

think i will use that rubber when i get it to a reasonable shape

as for strengthening the bonnet i got some stainless pipe tapped the ends 8mm and bolted through at the middle of the the bonnet and down at the lower edge. but still had a bit too much flex for my liking so i got some over centre catches to hold it in place