Bonnet To Grp Nose Cone Fitting

Guest j0ngreen

Guest j0ngreen

I wonder if someone can put my mind at rest with the connection between the GRP nose cone and a Mild Steel Bonnet.

I am sure I have managed to stay awake through the video's but can't remember this item. Richard just seems to cover the connection of SS bonnet

I know the bonnet sits within the nose cone 12" on a MS car, but how do you fix it? Glue?.

A picture would be magic.

Cheers

Jonathan

Guest daveg

Jonathan

Use set screws, start from the centre and drill two holes only, then put the screws in and tighten. Then drill the next two holes, one either side of the centre...

Dave

post-5-1087231848.gif

Guest j0ngreen

Dave,

Photo looks great, very colourfull. However, what does it look like from the top. Where the GRP meets the mild steel painted bonnet.

Is there a trim or somthing to cover the screws or do you just paint over them

Regards

Jonathan

After the first fit with self tappers I went on to replace them with M4 bolts. I then dismantled it again (gets soul destroying the number of times you have to do that doesn't it) painted it and reassembled with stainless bolts (dome headed ones of course to avaoid the dreaded sharp edges).

Iain

Guest Battery Bill

Daveq

Is that a Pink nose cone you have there?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I might have known :p :p

And you criticise us for component positioning and there you have a "Pink Nosecone" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest MikeD318

If you wanted to hide the fixings and have a mild steel bonnet that will be painted, why not weld studding on to the underside of the bonnet and fix the nose to that? Might take some work to get it to look and sit right but if it's done properly you won't be able to see it when painted.

Guest daveg

Jonathan

Ok, from the top it looks like this...

The trim you see in the piccy was supplied by RH...the paint wasn't!!! Some where on the video Richard say you get the paint for about £20...there was a very long pause between about and £20...he must have it difficult to say that :D :lol: :p

In fact you could pay £458 for 1/2 a litre :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Dave

post-5-1087330849.jpg

Guest daveg

Bill

Is that a Pink nose cone you have there?

Nope, its RH red :D

I painted it battery yellow :) :ph34r: but only on the outside...can't afford the paint for the inside :(

Dave

post-5-1087330965.jpg

Guest j0ngreen

Dave,

Many thanks for the photo of the top, but for some reason my bonnet is longer.

From the first louvres to the end of the bonnet must be ate least 300 - 400mm

And I seem to have a very short nose cone.

I will get a photo, but I must admit its a bit ugly as the body panels must have been stored in a leaky shed for some time.

I have investigated replacing the whole lot but it might just be salvagable with a bit of filler and thick paint

Regards

Jonathan