High Water Temp Reading

Guest aidankinnell

Guest aidankinnell

Was driving along yesterday and my water temp gauge shot up from 85 to 110. No apparent change in performance or anything like that.

I pulled over, switched off, all gauges returned to zero and then I turned just the electrics back on; the water temp returned to 85.

Would this seem indicative of high water temp/air lock or a potentially faulty gauge/sender?

One other thing to note, once I had been driving for about 30min on the return journey (all reasons fine this time), the engine seemed to be jumpy at low speed (30) and the exhaust was popping slightly. I have a mental note to get the timing setup perfectly in the new year.

Guest 2b cruising

Hi. Popping from exhaust. If you didn't have this previously, it's an indication of week fuel mix. Common cause of week mixture is either blocked filters or pipe work leaks. Ie tank drop tube blocked or split. If your car is running on a week fuel mix this will also cause high running temperatures.

Also.check thermostat by removing and using boiling water as a quick test to see it is fully opening smoothly.

Guest Gargoil

Intermittent faults, don't you just hate them.

Couple of easy things you can do is check your electrical connections and as 2B said, test your thermostat. What you really need, is to see it happen again and figure out what at the time could be causing it. Is the engine under stress/load, ambient temps, fan working, city driving?

You will have checked for coolant level and leaks, any other signs of water ingress/egress?

Does the system pressurise ok and any signs of flow/bubbles in the rad?

The list goes on, I know, I've been there :cray:

Guest mcramsay

I thought popping from the exhaust was due to rich mixtures? Ie the I burnt fuel igniting in the hot exhaust. Normally popping back through the inlet is a sign of a weak mixture? I would check that the gauge sender wire is not able to touch earth anywhere, this would cause the gauge needle to spike.

Guest aidankinnell

Thanks for ideas for checking the gauge, will sort something out soon.

I was driving the car yesterday evening, nice and cool out and was going along some A roads so nothing there to cause the temps to rise.

On the exhaust, I have seen a couple of posts on air leaks and potential rich running. Couple of bits to look at again. The running rich might explain where all my fuel is going!! No obvious fuel leaks.

Guest mcramsay

It's normal for a Robin Hood to pop a bit through the exhaust on the over run. I would not get too hung up about it. Just do some testing and see if the fault comes back. Ie cruise at a good speed for a while and check the temp gauge, then give it a bit of stick and see how things change. And then leave the car idleing and check it maintains the correct temp.