Rear Gaz 2b Coilovers

Guest Ken Brough

Guest Ken Brough

Hello Bill, i still have the Sierra coil springs on at present. I have been told that 17 or 18 coilovers will suffice but i am stumped as to the spring data. i will dive under the car at the weekend with a tape to satisfy myself before i part with any cash.

Guest Battery Bill

Ken

You can make the gap suit yourself then because you will have to remove the top spring holder thingy and replace it with a coulover mounting bracket and you could change the height to suit

:D :D

Guest Ken Brough

Yes Bill i understand that bit. Could you do me a favour this week and check out your rear springs. The info may be on Dampertech's invoice. Thanks

Guest Battery Bill

Ken

Its all here

Funny as I was going through my Kit Car folder I have just come across a email from Philip Slater on 17 Aug 05 about Gaz's :D :D :D

What a Coincidence :lol:

Guest Battery Bill

Actually I have not finished that bit :wub:

We finally plumped for 170/110 rear bodies with 1.9 x 13 x 300 springs.

Ours is not an ideal setup as the body is too short so when the ride height is set we had to sit straps because in the event of us flying the rear spring might come off (unlikely but possible) we could lower the top mounting point but its easier to fit the straps :D :D

Very happy with the ride though front and rear :D

Guest Battery Bill

Ken

Our Body is a bit long so when its all connected to the car and the ride height is nice its all well and good but because the body is a bit longer than we needed the damper can extend out further, if you jacked the car up (Or took a sleeping policeman as fast as Dred does and took off) the damper could move up enough so that the spring is loose and the locking collar could possibly fall out as it has no spring pressure.

To solve this we just fitted a strap between the bottom and top mounting. This stops the shocker extending further than the spring.

Hope this sounds OK :D :D

post-7-1141859933.jpg

Guest Ken Brough

So it's either shorter bodies or longer springs to prevent the spring seat coming loose under no load conditions wth the damper fully extended.

You can get very low rate springs with flat coils that are designed to be put above your normal springs. These extra springs are normally fully conpressed but when you take off and the main spring goes slack the extra springs are able to expand and keep everything where it should be.

Guest Ken Brough

Bill i have measured the distance from the wishbone the the base of the rollover tube and it is 15". As you said your coilovers are a bit long. That said would you go for the 15" or 16" ones. They have alittle less travel as well.