Fuel Tank

Guest 2Bornot2B

Guest Battery Bill

I think the swirl pot thing is only a set of baffles to stop the fuel pump gasping air on tight turns, so taking them out the donor car is not really practical.

I have heard others talking about fitting another pump to pump the fuel into a separate smaller tank for your main pump to feed from.

We just got a plastic one made up for us by "Chris Gibbons" complete with swirl pot.

Guest Andy Rathbone

oooooh plastic tank nice, i made my own for my 2b out of stainless and silversolded it to seal it, adding a swirl pot wouldnt be too difficult,

post-3-1058195598.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Hey Andy

Won't you spill a lot of petrol when you go round corners with that tank?

How big is it then, how many gallons?

I didn't fancy trying to weld up a tank, not after my attempts at welding up the sump without leakage.

Guest Peter n the better half

The swirl pot is as has been mentioned a ''baffled'' chamber that keeps fuel fed to the pump. These pump rely on fuel to keep them cool even short burst of ''empty'' running will kill the pump . This is why manufacturers have the pump running only when the engine is runnig , with an override for starting (big pink relay in the fuse box on the sierra).

All is not lost though . you can modify the RHE tank so that will run with efi.

As long as you can weld or get it welded.

All you need is a smaller tank (only 0.5 - 1 ltr) welded to the tank. inside this you need a funnel that is fed from the tank. have a take off from this small tank to the pump and presto. one swirl pot.

This does work . we used to use the set up on SRi cavalliers for racing.

The scavenger pump system is fine until it gives up and your back to square one , but remember even with a swirl pot if you run out of fuel the pumps in danger . Hope this helps....

Guest Andy Rathbone

if you look very closely at the picture............ closer ............ you will see the tank is actually full of water, 45 litres exactly 10 gallions in old money, yes your quite correct on the spillage, you will be glad to here i have now put the tops in, i chain drilled and filled the hole for the sender and flanged the hole for the filler (basically copied the ford one and i used a new ford rubber doughnut and filler neck off the B reg doner. and hey pressto an level boot floor, just 2ins above the top of the diff. B)