Handbrake Cable Modification

Guest DarrylWebb

Guest DarrylWebb

Hi chaps,

the handbrake cable in my 2B isn't working very well (to the point that it's pulling through the adjusters on the driver side).

I assume it's a Sierra cable, but what are the modifications?

Anything else I need to watch out for concerning the handbrake? I read about someone else who had the handbrake operating weakly on one side.

Ta,

Darryl

Guest timswait

It's a Sierra one, to suit drums or discs depending on what you have on your car. The only mod is that it's shortened. As I recall (and it was a long time ago I did this) you get a standard Sierra one, thread it through where it needs to go and seat it one end. You then will end up with a lot of excess on the other end which you need to cut off. To make the block on the end use the shank of an appropriate sized bolt (probably about M8) and drill a hole for the cable. Pass the cable through. To lock it on you have two options. Either a cold chisel and a big hammer to swage it on (Tricky did this in the build video) or (the way I did it) leave about 10mm or so excess cable and then use a MIG welder to chase it back to the bolt shank. That way you get a blob of weld that locks the bolt shank on.

Guest chris brown
It's a Sierra one, to suit drums or discs depending on what you have on your car. The only mod is that it's shortened. As I recall (and it was a long time ago I did this) you get a standard Sierra one, thread it through where it needs to go and seat it one end. You then will end up with a lot of excess on the other end which you need to cut off. To make the block on the end use the shank of an appropriate sized bolt (probably about M8) and drill a hole for the cable. Pass the cable through. To lock it on you have two options. Either a cold chisel and a big hammer to swage it on (Tricky did this in the build video) or (the way I did it) leave about 10mm or so excess cable and then use a MIG welder to chase it back to the bolt shank. That way you get a blob of weld that locks the bolt shank on.

Tim’s system works but as with all things Hoodie there are other ways.

Another way is to cut the new cable (inner) in half and assemble both half’s to the car then pass the cut ends through the D shaped part that is on the handbrake pull rod in opposite directions and clamp them together using small wire cable clamps obtainable at most DIY outlets. Use 2 on each side to be on the safe side, this is how I did mine and it's still good after 5+ years. Tim’s system is neater (that is if you are prone to looking under your car) but there is always a chance of your home made nipple pulling off also if you have discs on the back then you have little choice but to cut the cable as I have described as the end has a slotted nipple to fit over the hook on the calliper.

Guest DarrylWebb

Thanks. I've been to the motor factors and ordered one.

You know you're getting old when you ask for a Sierra handbrake cable and the lad behind the counter says 'That's a Ford isn't it?'