Seats

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest mickmellors

Hi Kev and welcome to the Community boards - I hope you get the help you need and feed back into the group whenever you can.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the Recaro seats are of no use. Mick Gilbert has them in his 2B and they are VERY comfortable. I readily admit that they are styled more for saloon cars than for 2 seater sportscars but they are a quality item and should not be discounted or discarded too eagerly, especially if your finances are being pulled in more than one direction. However, having helped to build a 3A a few years ago which had VERY basic plywood squares covered in flat foam and vinyl, these were VERY uncomfortable after about 5 miles and wer only marginally improved by my strip down and addition of a thicker piece of foam. You cant deny that there has been a marked improvement in the comfort of the seats now supplied in the kits.

Dont lose track of the 'Ideal of the Robin Hood' ie KIT + DONOR = ON THE ROAD. This is achieved by simple economies wherever possible. I for one could not afford to even consider the alternatives available at the time I bought my 2B Kit. The whole idea is that you dont HAVE to buy anything else but you are free to if you chose to, and can afford to. One member has stated on these boards that his engine modifications have cost in excess of £3000 - that is my whole build budget ! ! !

I have just returned from the N.Yorks Moors weekend as a passenger in that very same car I helped modify the seats of, now with a different owner and fitted out with a pair of seats from Richfield at about £100 each. They have completely transformed the comfort and after a 300 mile round trip I would personally have to recommend that money be invested in comfortable seating before fancy wheels and tyres - always assuming that there is no issue with the safe condition of the existing tyres of course. There is little pleasure to be had from driving in discomfort even if the car has got the best wheels in the town.

Guest Battery Bill

Nippy kev

I agree with Mick

The Recaros are very nice and comfortable seats, you just have to cut a lot off them to make them fit especially if you are tall.

Our website shows how we fitted ours

www.billbrown.org.uk