Exhaust Wrap Smoking

eddieH

Hi,

we've just finished wrapping the 4-into-1 exhaust manifold and started the engine to let it all warm up. There's a whole load of smoke coming from the manifold, it smells terrible and the wrap is turning black is if it's scorching. Is this supposed to happen? :unsure: I switched it off and got the fire extinguisher out just in case. Thanks for your help!

Edward

Guest klaxon

I used fibre-glass wrap from car builder solutions.

While building, I used to run it up to normal temperature every couple of weeks. It smoked a lot even after hours of running, it also leaves a white dust all over and the wrapping turned brown. Once on the road it was worse. When I stopped at traffic lights, white smoke poured from under the bonnet. People offered to lend me fire extinguishers or call the fire brigade. However it did stop after about 200 miles and has been fine since.

Basically its quite alarming at first but dont worry, it IS normal.

Thanks guys - that's a relief! You should have seen the looks on our faces as it all seemed to be going up in smoke :o ! We'll run it up to temperature again tomorrow and let it do its thing for a bit longer. At least it isn't a problem which requires re-wrapping the manifold - I don't think we could have faced having to do that again. If we ever build another one we'll wrap it before fitting it :rolleyes:. Anyway, thanks again. Best wishes,

Edward

Guest stu205
, last time I did one the smoke smelt like cakes! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

they smoke when they get wet too, thats worrying when you have never experianced it before too!