Passenger Footwell Panel

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest Alan Harrison

I'm unsure about the positoning of the passenger footwell panel. I can't seem to find any reference to it on the videos. I've tried all different positions and refolded a couple of edges but I can't get it to slot in nicely so it touches all round. ( the panel that is!!) I don't want to cut any more off or I'll have to start making Stainless steel jewellery from the offcuts. Does the top left cutout locate on the side rail tube or the inner tube that runs from the dash-tube down to the front of the chassis.........did that make sense?

A picture would be great

Thanks chaps

Guest Battery Bill

Hi Alan

I don't think you will be able to get it to "Slot in nicely" This is a Robin Hood!

Our right hand one fits a lot better than the left hand one, (Joey did the LH one and had to rebend a couple of times He He).

I think some kind of filler is the answer, mind you I still have no idea how it attaches to the side panels ! More sealant possibly.

Dump the videos you know it make sense,

Guest TerryBarry

Alan,

Here's a pic (hope you can make something out of it) - there's a lot of internal reflections from the stainless.

I cut a second notch for the inner sloping tube.

The outside edge looked hopeful when initially fitted but now the side panel is on there is a nice gap to be filled later. But better I suppose than it distorting the side panel.

The top of the panel is screwed to the upper cross tube and any remaining metal was peened over and is now under the battery tray.

I also bent up the last 15mm of the floor ( as it was longer than required) and this adds a bit more support and rigidity.

The panels are joined using M6 stainless bolts, nuts & washers plus silicone sealant.

All three folds on the panel come back into the car.

HTH

Terry

Oh and you will need a little infill panel around the top of the tunnel to attempt to isolate passenger from engine compartment.

Guest Alan Harrison

Excellent Terry..

so much easier with pictures. I'm starting to get paranoic about fitting something and then having to take it all apart again..again again again again again.

Thank very much

Guest ians2B

Thank God,

last night 11.00pm trudged back from the garage very unhappy. Not only did the passenger footwell not even remotely fit, the drivers side panel was obviously from another car!! Tonight, the metal shears will be used and a best fit will be acheived. Will the firewall be as accuarate?

AH yes - the long walk back to the house late at night in the dark with the feeling that nothing is going right, I know it well :unsure:

Just remember that the fire wall and footwell pannels must be well sealed to keep you and the engine seperated. It's amasing the gaps you can fill with sealent.

My firewall panel ended up fairly different to the video example. I pushed the passenger footwell panel right forward (my wife being a long-legged beauty - I'm the short-arse :D ) - it screws into the chassis cross-member.

IIRC, on the build video, RH shows the panel fitted against the chassis upright you can see in Terry's pic. Not much leg-room!

Anyway, this means that my firewall goes straight across the car rather than being a "Z" shape. It also means getting creative with where you put the battery - but then, this is a Hood... :lol:

Sorry for rambling - too much coffee and a Friday afternoon [sigh]

F.