Hot Start

Guest TheDog

Guest TheDog

Hiya,

The car starts first time every time when cold, but even after running for a few minutes and then stopping the car (i.e. filling up at a petrol station), it struggles to restart. It gets even worse when it is even hotter.

Is this normal, any tips?

Cheers

Chris

Guest salty_monk

No, not normal.

Is it flooding? Running too rich?

Has it been professionally setup (correct jets etc)?

What fuel pump are you using? If electric do you have a regulator?

Have you looked at the plugs recently? Are they coked up with soot?

Does it struggle to turn over or just not starting? Have you checked all usual culprits could be affected by heat, dizzy cap, rotar, leads, coil etc.

Dan :)

Guest yosamite sam

when re-starting it try not touching the throttle at all - starting from cold remember there probably isnt a choke fitted so give it 4-5 pumps before cranking, when warmed up you dont need to touch the throttle at all - it should tick over without even touching the throttle. It might be getting a bit too much fuel in and flooding a bit.

try altering the tickover slightly higher - i run the tickover on mine at just over 1000rpm.. seems happier - check also balancing the carbs too.

Guest TheDog

Is it flooding? Running too rich? - It has recently been tuned by a professional - and seems to be fine when driving.

Has it been professionally setup (correct jets etc)? yep, see above.

What fuel pump are you using? If electric do you have a regulator? - facet pump, but, yep, do have a regulator.

Have you looked at the plugs recently? Are they coked up with soot? - yep, last time i checked, they looked normal (last week)

Does it struggle to turn over or just not starting? Have you checked all usual culprits could be affected by heat, dizzy cap, rotar, leads, coil etc. - doesn't sturggle to turn over, just doesn't actually fire.

I think it is the 'flodding' that mentioned - next time i will try to start with no throttle action!

Cheers guys.

Chris

Guest TheDog

i tried twice tonight, and seems to start if i do not put my foot on the accelerator at all - until it has actually started, and it needed a little coaxing the second time, but it still started.

thanks!

chris

Guest yosamite sam

yes - your coaxing it because of the no choke fitted - it will be lumpy till it fires and warms.. mine does the same - once warm it will start with no throttle.

• 7 months later...
:huh: I have the same problem when starting hot, i have an electric pump set with reg set on 3.5, it will start no probs when cold, but will not entertain when hot. How hot should the coil get? I have an optronic lumenition with ballast resistor. when the car is running it runs great, plugs etc all look ok. The carbs were set at ABP nantwich. Any help would be great as when you fill up with fuel you look a fool. The only other thing is i have a 1" manifold from the head to the carbs.