Removing Fuel Tank

Guest 2b_pablo

Guest 2b_pablo

hi all, new 2b (Mk2 S7 I believe) owner with whats probably a common enough problem.

Having bought my 2b in need of tidying Ive bought an autometer fuel gauge and sender (float type). Now the sender thats in it differs in two ways:

1. it has a fuel pipe coming into it (fuel return?)

2. its a lot bigger than the autometer one.

So i was thinking the best approach is to remove the fuel tank, clean it out and get the existing sender hole welded over and a new hole cut to accept the new sender. Alternatively I could make a plate the same size as the larger sender and cut a hole in that for the new sender.

Both would probably be best done with the tank out. Is it a big job to remove the tank?

thanks all

Edited by 2b_pablo

hi if its the s7 as i had then the tank drops out through the bottom of the car.

the tank is held in with 2 straps , not easy to undo the rear bolts but you can do it and the tank will then drop out after sorting out the filler and fuel conns.

regards graham

Guest chris brown
hi all, new 2b (Mk2 S7 I believe) owner with whats probably a common enough problem.

Having bought my 2b in need of tidying Ive bought an autometer fuel gauge and sender (float type). Now the sender thats in it differs in two ways:

1. it has a fuel pipe coming into it (fuel return?)

2. its a lot bigger than the autometer one.

So i was thinking the best approach is to remove the fuel tank, clean it out and get the existing sender hole welded over and a new hole cut to accept the new sender. Alternatively I could make a plate the same size as the larger sender and cut a hole in that for the new sender.

Both would probably be best done with the tank out. Is it a big job to remove the tank?

thanks all

First question is it a 2B or an S7? Ckick here for ID Second what tank has it got fitted?

If it is a 2B with a 30 litre it should be possible just about by removing the boot top and internals and getting it out that way but if it is a 40 litre I suspect it is difficult to say the least and it may be better to work on it in situate so no welding I’m afraid. But it is very difficult to give a true answer as there are so many ways of fitting and types of tanks fitted to the 2B including the RHE (1 kit 1 donor) method of fitting the sierra tank.

If it is an S7 then no doubt someone will have the answer

Guest 2b_pablo

I thought it was an S7 but I now think its a Mk2. Cant really tell from the photos and the car is about 40 miles away :(

the tank seems to be held in with 2 horizontal metal straps at the bottom, the sender is on the pass side and the filler is on the driver side. thats about all i can tell right now.

Hi , if you have the two supporting straps underneath , then is quite easy , just disconnect the wiring and plumbing from the sender unit ,remove filler pipe , that should just pull out with a bit of a twist or so , the tank shouild then just drop out , you will have to raise the back end a bit though as it will foul on the hanger rods , with regards to your new sender unit , is it a sender unit only without fuel feed pipes , if it is you will have to fit one somewhere , i had to remove my standard sender unit due to a broken tank stud ,(rubbish idea ) , i cut the top out of a ford tank and bolted it on so that i could easily remove the sender should the need arise , makes a good job out of it too , you could use a blanking plate with a hole to match your sender and bolt it on the same as i did .

Hope this is of some assistance to you

Mike

Guest peter2b2002

if you are going to do any welding to the tank fill it with water first, during my aprenticeship my welding instructor showed me what an empty petrol tank can do, they go up like a bomb

pete2b

Guest 2b_pablo

got it sorted today, managed to get it all done without removing the tank by modifying the existing sender housing :)

few pics for anyone interested:

existing sender:

13-07-07_1418.jpg

13-07-07_1419.jpg

Cut the old sender brain off was scared of pulling it off and making holes in the pipe!

13-07-07_1431.jpg

Reused the main hole to attach the autometer sender:

13-07-07_1449.jpg

Used a hole to mount the sender pickup (had to be careful to keep it from touching the metal and short circuiting it)

13-07-07_1450.jpg

Used the spec sheet to set the length of each part. real easy to set this bit.

13-07-07_1505.jpg

All done, I can now tell when Im running out of petrol!!!!

Edited by 2b_pablo

Hi , and that is exactly what i did with my isspro sender , a tight fit but it fitted ok , it looks the same as the one you have fitted too , pleased that you managed it without removing the tank , a good job worth doing all done now eh .

Mike