Bp 102 Octane

NeilD

Guest Tim Norman

I tried the 99 octane from tesco on carbs and it was bloody awfull. Ran rough as a bulls lug and was gutless, probably should have altered the timing but as will never use it again I'll leave well alone.

Guest salty_monk

You need a mapped system with switchable maps like on the GSXR1000... You could use the normal stuff & then onto the 102 at the flip of a switch!

To be honest though I would think the biggest gain is to be had by running a really big CR... Can't do that on the flip of a switch!

Dan :)

Guest tom2b

i got my car with 45s rollered on bp ultimate, used it on tesco 99 and it was fine, i use tesco petrol all the time in the 206 and kitcar and never had any trouble . . . yet

Guest Dan_Beeston

There's only so much a re-map can do, higher octane fuels can run more compression (and sometimes more ignition timing) before you hit detonation.

The engines that really take advantage of it are high boost forced-induction lumps with properly tuned knock sensing (look at JDM stuff, where 100+ octane is readlily available form the pumps) Stick it in an engine without these features and it won't know the difference, you're just burning money :)

I may be a cynic (sp?), but those guys claiming better performance from optimax in a Pinto (or even Zetec etc) are either getting a placebo effect to sooth the dent in the wallet, or a benefiting slightly from a fuel blended by geeks not money men, rather than from the RON increase per se.........

Hope this makes sense, it's thursday so I've been on the cheap Spanish antifreeze! :drinks: