Fun And Games Trying To Book An Sva Test

Guest goatpeter

Guest goatpeter

I bought a partially completed 2B off Ebay a couple of years ago and submitted it for an SVA shortly after.

Despite the previous owner's opinion that it would fly through, it failed on many items, in fact the list went onto a second sheet ! Yes I know I should have known better, but I was young and foolishm, but also knew I wasn't competent or patient enough to build a car from scratch.

Anyway, over the last 2 months, I've got my act together and worked my way through the long list before applying for an SVA.

My application was refused, on the basis that I hadn't built the car, or had someone build it for me, as I'd bought it half done, so it didn't fall into the amateur category.

(I'd hamstrung myself, as the new applications ask for copies of receipts and I'd submitted my Ebay receipt)

The letter of refusal from VOSA makes no mention of the reasoning, but when I called up, I was given the explanation that it didn't fit the amateur built section, that the fact it had been tested before made no difference and the only possibility was to take the axles off, engine out and seats out, take photos and contact VOSA - on the basis that then I could rightly say I'd done the major work.

Apart from the time and frustration, this seems mad, as I thought that the purpose of the SVA was to check the car for safety ?

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Many thanks

Pete

Guest Nigel Novice

Hmm

http://www.dft.gov.uk/162259/165240/224107...eapprovalscheme

page 23 appendix 1

Amateur-built vehicle is one constructed or assembled for your own personal use, where:

􀂄 the construction or assembly or a substantial part of it must have been carried out by you or other

persons acting on your behalf; and

􀂄 a substantial part of the construction or assembly was carried out by you or other persons not

involved in a business in the course of which motor vehicles are normally constructed or

assembled.

hth

Amateur-built vehicle is one constructed or assembled for your own personal use, where:

the construction or assembly or a substantial part of it must have been carried out by you or other

persons acting on your behalf; and

a substantial part of the construction or assembly was carried out by you or other persons not

involved in a business in the course of which motor vehicles are normally constructed or

assembled.

hth

seems to say it all !i think i would try to quote the 2nd para as this seems to fit the bill for most part builts .

mayby a letter from the previous builder stating his ammature status might sort this .

i will have exactly the same prob shortly having just bought a 3/4 finnished 2b, so please let me know the outcome.

whilst there has to be rules ,recently these rules are being enforced rather too vigourously to my my mind.

at the end of the day the rules are there to stop manufacturers from ovoiding type approval , we are ammaturers regardless of how many we have built as we /i are not in it to make a living .

why should these part built cars effectivly have to be scrapped because the origonal purchacer for whatever reason be unable to complete them.

rant over

graham

Guest MacMustang

Hey guys,

I had the exact same problem recently. Earlier this year I purchased a 90% built 2B. So far all I've done is replace the front springs and move the bottom bracket of the springs.

When I received the letter saying that it had been refused and they needed photos etc I gave them a ring. A complete jobs worth told me that I hadn't submitted enough info even though the letter didn't request it. I managed to squeeze out of him that I needed to submit build photos and a letter from the previous builder stating what he had done and what I had done.

Fortunately the previous owner was kind enough to oblige. I then forwarded all of his original build photos, 4 of my photos (suspension before and after), the ebay auction (print off) and a covering letter detailing the fact that I had reworked the front suspension, reworked the engine timing, fitted mirrors and general checked around the vehicle.

This seemed to satisfy them and when I phoned Vosa to check if they had received my letter (8 days after posting), I was surprised to find that it had been accepted 3 days after posting and the test station had already been informed.

If anyone needs any more details just message me.