Sean Sva Troubles

Guest gdc

Guest sean donnelly

Hi there thanks for your advice, I have spoken to VOSA technical dep (after Newcastle told me I wasn't allowed to speak to them)????? I spoke to Steve Bardsley who informed me if I pay a full test fee I can take it to another test station.

Everything on the failure sheet has been addressed by myself! (without any pain, example lights adjusting etc).

But unfortunately find myself in a situation about the aluminium monocoque design!

Yes I could travel from Newcastle to Layton Buzzard as I have a trailer and time but this is what I am trying to avoid as a last resort.

My overall feeling is this guy at Newcastle wasn't going to pass it from day one and is a bit of a jobs worth!

Can anyone help!!!

I don't have a scanner but can send you a copy of the fail sheets it you so wish.

I did mention the fact to Steve at VOSA that I was given another failure sheet on my 2nd app and was told it is down to the discretion of the individual on the day!!!

Nightmare

Guest sean donnelly

Hi there Robin,Whats a MAC

For some reason having trouble putting my photos on (not too clever when it comes down to computers) send me your email address and can send you them that way if you wish!

Ok Sean

i sean

glad you could join us .

the mac is the ministers approval certificate, this is the piece of paper you recieve after a happy test.

its like a mot cert .

as i said to you on the phone you will get a lot of advice from the forum , its up to you how you procede.

indicators should not be at odds as clear definition of position is stated .

the feeling i get reminds me of the dark day when the first one failed , this was the tb car , i bought this car allong with paul

palmers fully built tub , i used the tb car as a doner , this is now dans lightweight , svad and on the road .

the tb car had elements built in to it that werent prety but the build was reasnoble .

the tester stated that he would never pass a lightweight , based on this examination of the car and in his opinion .

this IN HIS OPINION bit realy gets my gander up , the comments are based on nothing other than a preconception of what the construction should be , and i think we have just seen it again with seans car .

sean post some pics of your car and detail the modifications .

you could talk to paul jepson again re the next move .

you are not going to beat vosa by thinking about it , you need to challenge the decision , a report from a leading motor engineer , will help .mayby the one we spoke about .

you must challenge the number that have passed , these are in 2 types those pre mods and post mods .

but are both lightweights .

other option is to start the process again and book with a station that has experiance with this type of car ,

i have 2 passed with leighton buzard ,

colins went through at norwitch .

others have passed but i have either forgot or they were pre the probs , mayby they will shout !!!!!!!!

dont loose heart .

i have been there and i do know how it feels .

graham

Guest Stuartl

I am very sympathetic with Sean on this one. I used to have a pre-SVA Sylva Striker (build by a mate) and toyed with the idea of buying a new kit, probably not a Striker due to the level of my budget but either a GTS Panther or 2b Plus.

The story that Sean is telling was what worried me about building a new kit. Just like the MOT there is so much down to interpretation by the individual on the day although positions of indicators and lights are clearly defined as has been mentioned so there should be a definate yes or no whoever looks at the car.

I did hear, and for the life of me I cannot remember where from about the lightweights having trouble passing SVA.

My concern is that my fears will become commonplace among the buying public and sales will suffer as a result of what I believe are often jobsworth characters who given a kit car to build would not have the first idea what to do.

I took the 'easy' option and have bought a 1996 kit that has been registered and on the road before being stripped down again so no SVA for me but once again I feel for Sean and please keep us posted on the progress.

I for one will raise a glass of something when the news comes through that you have the Pass Paper in your hand :rolleyes:

Good Luck and dont let the b******s grind you down....................

I tried to get time today but failed.... but..... im going to give my vosa area enforcment officer a ring and see if i can make light of the sva testers regime, all MOT testers are quality controled every month....so .... i am presuming SVA examiners are too, also i would keep trying to speak to the station manager at Newcastle as he is responsable for the actions of any testers under his guide.

• 2 months later...
Guest sean donnelly

Just to let you know took it to another test centre Carlisle and its passed Alleluia, so it just shows you don't use Newcastle Upon Tyne Test centre as the guy there was a nightmare!!

Will be contacting VOSA to let them know this!!

well done sean , it took a bit of a drive to get there but it was obviously well worth it .

see you at a show soon .

graham

ps

its only £15 membership and youl get that back from a reduced insurance rate