Just Finished Electrics Zero Build

tendoshingan

Seeing as my wife wasn't really interested, I wanted to tell folks who were and who may be interested in doing it the same way.

I have been scratching my head and looking at this forum and locost builders for a way to have just the left hand sierra indicator stalk (with full beam flash and switch) and use buttons for the lights and hazards.

After spending hours in my garage freezing my nuts off with a voltmeter in one hand and the soul of my life in another I am really chuffed as I have worked it all out and put it together.

Being married to an accountant ( <_< ) I was told I didn't really want to pay £16 on a hazard switch. So, considering I had plenty of relays to hand from the donors, a sierra and an xr3i, so figured it out using two relays and a couple of diodes.

If anybody is interested, especially with wiring in the new loom to the sierra stalk, although I did only use one, then I will try and put a wiring diagram together.

Happy New Year peeps

Guest pencil

Congratulations in completing the wiring, from what I remember (it's new years day) you used the GBS loom and I to intend to use switches for lights and hazards so any information would be great, did you have any problems with the design,build of the GBS loom?

Regards

John

OK

I've already put this on Locost but I have put a few more details here with regard to the GBS loom.

Here is my diagram, sorry but it is a sketch scanned in, if anyone would like to draw it out properly by all means do.

The other attachment is the diagram that I found here for the stalk connections.

The GBS loom is as follows within the column

White is switched live

Red is side lights

Brown is permanent live

Black/Orange is dipped relay to stalk 56b

White/Orange is main relay to stalk 56a

Green is the Flasher relay input (49) that connects to the switched output of the other relay.

Green/Yellow is the Flasher relay output(49a) that gives a live to the stalk at 49a

Black/Green is drivers indicator connects to R on stalk

Green/Red is passengers indicator connects to L on stalk

On my GBS loom the wiring, although working, was slightly incorrect, in that the dipped relays were connected to 30 not 86, but if you look at my diagram which includes a breakdown of a relay, they would just be either side of the switch so shouldn't matter.

Hope that helps, I am pretty sure that is correct as it seems to be working fine on the car. With all connections working including full beam flash and constant from the stalk.

Had to edit this as I realised I left off one of the switched live connections to a relay and had to have side lights connected to permanent live (MOT and SVA fail otherwise)

Cheers

Ian

post-3045-1230841641_thumb.jpg

post-3045-1237910522_thumb.jpg

Edited by Taff

Guest scrabster
Seeing as my wife wasn't really interested, I wanted to tell folks who were and who may be interested in doing it the same way.

I have been scratching my head and looking at this forum and locost builders for a way to have just the left hand sierra indicator stalk (with full beam flash and switch) and use buttons for the lights and hazards.

After spending hours in my garage freezing my nuts off with a voltmeter in one hand and the soul of my life in another I am really chuffed as I have worked it all out and put it together.

Being married to an accountant ( <_< ) I was told I didn't really want to pay £16 on a hazard switch. So, considering I had plenty of relays to hand from the donors, a sierra and an xr3i, so figured it out using two relays and a couple of diodes.

If anybody is interested, especially with wiring in the new loom to the sierra stalk, although I did only use one, then I will try and put a wiring diagram together.

Happy New Year peeps

hi,ive just given up for the day with the bloody loom.it seems that the black wire which is live and works the headlights makes the earth screw holes live which fried the switch.if i leave the stalk in mid air,i can get side lights,head lights and main beam but no flash ie pulling stalk towards steering wheel.when i remove black wire i get no dipped or main beams,but the earth problem goes.there was an earth on one of the relays which was wrong and richard at gbs put me right with that.any help would be a bonus,im hoping to get it pre moted on saturday before sva early in feb.

many thanks.

jess.

hi,ive just given up for the day with the bloody loom.it seems that the black wire which is live and works the headlights makes the earth screw holes live which fried the switch.if i leave the stalk in mid air,i can get side lights,head lights and main beam but no flash ie pulling stalk towards steering wheel.when i remove black wire i get no dipped or main beams,but the earth problem goes.there was an earth on one of the relays which was wrong and richard at gbs put me right with that.any help would be a bonus,im hoping to get it pre moted on saturday before sva early in feb.

many thanks.

jess.

Hi Jess,

well done on getting so far. You realise that if you mot it prior to sva you will need to mot it every year. Whereas if you don't mot, once you get the sva you don't have to get it mot'd for 3 years (new car rules).

Anyways...

The loom electrics depend on what you are using in the stalks.

Are you using both stalks and the built in hazard warning light?

You have to be careful as some of the wiring is for the hazard switch. I am not using this so the wiring diagram above is related to that.

For the flash main to work you need a switched live in at the top connector 15.

This gives the relay power when the mains are not turned on

It is a bit awkard with the Ford electrics, as black is usually switched live and brown is earth, where in normal wiring brown is associated with being live and black is earth.

You need to check the gbs loom relay connections. Make sure the relays you are using are correct. Should be labelled 30 (permanent live in (fused)), 85 (earth), 86 (switched live in).

With a voltmeter first check that all the relay outs are going to the corresponding places. I had to rewire my relays from GBS as some of them were wired slightly wrong.

Ensure that 87 on both mains and dipped relays are going to the lights. The mains (IIRC) has two wires, blue/red, the other wire the same colour should go to the fusebox. The wires from each relay that go to the fusebox should be on 30 (although on mine the lights were on 30 and the fusebox was on 87 no prob either side of the same switch).

Hope that helps so far

:rolleyes:

Guest scrabster
Hi Jess,

well done on getting so far. You realise that if you mot it prior to sva you will need to mot it every year. Whereas if you don't mot, once you get the sva you don't have to get it mot'd for 3 years (new car rules).

Anyways...

The loom electrics depend on what you are using in the stalks.

Are you using both stalks and the built in hazard warning light?

You have to be careful as some of the wiring is for the hazard switch. I am not using this so the wiring diagram above is related to that.

For the flash main to work you need a switched live in at the top connector 15.

This gives the relay power when the mains are not turned on

It is a bit awkard with the Ford electrics, as black is usually switched live and brown is earth, where in normal wiring brown is associated with being live and black is earth.

You need to check the gbs loom relay connections. Make sure the relays you are using are correct. Should be labelled 30 (permanent live in (fused)), 85 (earth), 86 (switched live in).

With a voltmeter first check that all the relay outs are going to the corresponding places. I had to rewire my relays from GBS as some of them were wired slightly wrong.

Ensure that 87 on both mains and dipped relays are going to the lights. The mains (IIRC) has two wires, blue/red, the other wire the same colour should go to the fusebox. The wires from each relay that go to the fusebox should be on 30 (although on mine the lights were on 30 and the fusebox was on 87 no prob either side of the same switch).

Hope that helps so far

:rolleyes:

hi taff, thanks for the reply.i had another dabble tonight and found a brown/black wire connected what i thought looked wrong so i cut it and everything still seems to work apart from the mainbeam flash.i swapped the switch again and still the same.brown/black wire still intact its a loop from one stalk to the other.

the only wire not used on dipper stalk is black,this wont power flasher.is the black wire number 15?

the mot wont be official,i know the man and he is going to do headlight allignment,tracking,camber,emmisions, brakes ect, for a drink.could do with bedding the brakes in a bit first though.the weather is against any testing at the moment.

got to photocopy some receipts at work to send with sva forms then its fingers crossed for a february date.

once again thanks for reply,this is the most ive ever typed on a keyboard.

jess.

hi taff, thanks for the reply.i had another dabble tonight and found a brown/black wire connected what i thought looked wrong so i cut it and everything still seems to work apart from the mainbeam flash.i swapped the switch again and still the same.brown/black wire still intact its a loop from one stalk to the other.

the only wire not used on dipper stalk is black,this wont power flasher.is the black wire number 15?

the mot wont be official,i know the man and he is going to do headlight allignment,tracking,camber,emmisions, brakes ect, for a drink.could do with bedding the brakes in a bit first though.the weather is against any testing at the moment.

got to photocopy some receipts at work to send with sva forms then its fingers crossed for a february date.

once again thanks for reply,this is the most ive ever typed on a keyboard.

jess.

Check the stalk wiring, as per the diagram attached. The flasher connection is the 4 inline block, number 15 is the brown wire. For the flasher to work even though the diagram says earth, Ford work on a negative switch for their relay. I am pretty sure the zero has a switched live relay.

So when you connect this number 15 to the switched live it works.

Try that

:D

Guest salty_monk
Hi Jess,

That's not strictly true... it seems that it's pure luck on a case by case basis as to whether your car gets tagged for an MOT or not. The only ones that should qualify for the 3 year rules are the ones with the new 09 plate - i.e. assembled entirely from new parts with a cat etc.

Dan :)

Guest scrabster
Check the stalk wiring, as per the diagram attached. The flasher connection is the 4 inline block, number 15 is the brown wire. For the flasher to work even though the diagram says earth, Ford work on a negative switch for their relay. I am pretty sure the zero has a switched live relay.

So when you connect this number 15 to the switched live it works.

Try that

:D

hi taff,sory to be a pain about the electrics.the relays are wired,86 blackearth. 85 orange/white. 30blue/white permanant live. 87blue/white to lights.

as it stands now connecting the 15brown to live does not work the flash.is this how your relays were wired?do the connectors come out easy to swap them.

does the flasher terminals have to be changed aswell.these are wired 31 black earth. 49a green/yellow. 40 green.

this is a real pain for me as not to good with electrics.cant understand why the mounting screw holes go live when lights are turned on.i put 12v through mounting hole and two terminals showed a connection.number 30 was one ive forgot the other while i am typing this.does this seem right to you?

thanks for your patience with me.

jess.

hi taff,sory to be a pain about the electrics.the relays are wired,86 blackearth. 85 orange/white. 30blue/white permanant live. 87blue/white to lights.

as it stands now connecting the 15brown to live does not work the flash.is this how your relays were wired?do the connectors come out easy to swap them.

does the flasher terminals have to be changed aswell.these are wired 31 black earth. 49a green/yellow. 40 green.

this is a real pain for me as not to good with electrics.cant understand why the mounting screw holes go live when lights are turned on.i put 12v through mounting hole and two terminals showed a connection.number 30 was one ive forgot the other while i am typing this.does this seem right to you?

thanks for your patience with me.

jess.

Hi Jess,

Sounds like you have an earth wired to live somewhere.

The way your relays are wired could be the problem. The flasher is wired ok. But the mains maybe out.

Hope I don't come across as all teachery!!

Electrics are not that difficult to understand. The positve (either switched or permanent) needs to get to earth.

The problem with wiring up Ford stuff is that they work on an opposite switch compared to others.

Anyway....

Following your wiring through, at the relay switch end what you have is 30 blue/white permanent live and 87 blue/white to lights. This is the what you should have, it means when the relay switches it puts the permanent live through to the lights.

Now normally the relay switches when power is supplied to 86 input (switched live, coloured orange/white) and earthed at 85 output(black).

If your relay is wired as you said, 86 is earth and 85 is switched live, then it should still work as long as your relay does not have a diode in it as this will prohibit power in one direction.

The way it works is that, with a switched live feed(white off the column wires) joined at 15 when you pull the stalk to flash your highbeam it connects 15 to 56a sending a switched live to the main relay at 86, this goes through a coil to earth at 85, creating a magnetic switch which closes 30 to 87 allowing the permanent live to connect to 87, giving the lights power.

Using a multimeter check to make sure that your earth is earthed on your 86 and that you are getting a switched live at 85. Especially as some of the earth feeds to the relays come off the other relays (earth).

Just need to go slow with electrics.

If you were local to me (Bracknell) I could come around and have a look.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Guest scrabster
Hi Jess,

Sounds like you have an earth wired to live somewhere.

The way your relays are wired could be the problem. The flasher is wired ok. But the mains maybe out.

Hope I don't come across as all teachery!!

Electrics are not that difficult to understand. The positve (either switched or permanent) needs to get to earth.

The problem with wiring up Ford stuff is that they work on an opposite switch compared to others.

Anyway....

Following your wiring through, at the relay switch end what you have is 30 blue/white permanent live and 87 blue/white to lights. This is the what you should have, it means when the relay switches it puts the permanent live through to the lights.

Now normally the relay switches when power is supplied to 86 input (switched live, coloured orange/white) and earthed at 85 output(black).

If your relay is wired as you said, 86 is earth and 85 is switched live, then it should still work as long as your relay does not have a diode in it as this will prohibit power in one direction.

The way it works is that, with a switched live feed(white off the column wires) joined at 15 when you pull the stalk to flash your highbeam it connects 15 to 56a sending a switched live to the main relay at 86, this goes through a coil to earth at 85, creating a magnetic switch which closes 30 to 87 allowing the permanent live to connect to 87, giving the lights power.

Using a multimeter check to make sure that your earth is earthed on your 86 and that you are getting a switched live at 85. Especially as some of the earth feeds to the relays come off the other relays (earth).

Just need to go slow with electrics.

If you were local to me (Bracknell) I could come around and have a look.

Anyway, hope that helps.

hi taff,thanks for all your input with switches.i bent the ear of a sparky who drew me a diagram of how to wire the relays.30 and 86 lives,so i just looped them ,87 to lights,85 to stalk.the brown wire at 15 back to earth and hey presto everything works a treat,no live where it should,nt be. :yahoo: java script:add_smilie(":yahoo:","smid_26")

regards,jess.