Driving The Robin Hood

Guest SeanStone

Guest SeanStone

Hi there. I'm looking into what kit to go for. I'm a student but I'm working to afford whatever I choose and I have been advised that the Robin Hood chassis really isn't one of the best in terms of driving performance and road holding. I would however like to be able to find out myself, as it would be used for fast road and some track days so most of the time I won't be achieving absolute performance. I will also be putting in an audi s3 engine (1.8 turbo) into whatever kit I go for so if there are any structural and handling deficiencies because of the Robin Hood chassis, this will be accentuated by the increased power.

So what I'm looking for is an opportunity to be able to put one through its places or experience one being put through it's paces to experience the way it handles, accelerates and stops.

If there is anyone who is willing to help me out or is able to push me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I live in epsom, surrey if it is any use.

Thanks

Guest mikea

the factory have a demonstrator .. give "technical" |Richard a ring he has built and raced raced a locost and from what you say the Zero could be exactly what you want (number on the website)

Guest scrabster

hi, i built my zero in 9 months and thats having around 6 weeks off to do a patio and conservatory.soon as it passed sva (first time) i took it to mallory park.it had only been driven on a factory estate.i thought i was driving it hard untill i was a passenger and richard at gbs drove it.the car holds the road really well,like its on rails almost.my point is this is my first build and i have every confidence in the car and it has been designed to be easier to put together than previous models.richard at gbs has raced a locost type and is building another when he gets the time.the zero is selling very well at the moment.they are loads cheaper than caterhams and westfields.my advice would be to contact gbs and have a go in the demo.hth.

jess.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alan_builder
Hi there. I'm looking into what kit to go for. I'm a student but I'm working to afford whatever I choose and I have been advised that the Robin Hood chassis really isn't one of the best in terms of driving performance and road holding. I would however like to be able to find out myself, as it would be used for fast road and some track days so most of the time I won't be achieving absolute performance. I will also be putting in an audi s3 engine (1.8 turbo) into whatever kit I go for so if there are any structural and handling deficiencies because of the Robin Hood chassis, this will be accentuated by the increased power.

So what I'm looking for is an opportunity to be able to put one through its places or experience one being put through it's paces to experience the way it handles, accelerates and stops.

If there is anyone who is willing to help me out or is able to push me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I live in epsom, surrey if it is any use.

Thanks

Hi Sean,

A track car or a fast tourer with occasional track days use, not the same at all! Most of the time I can't drive any where near the performance possibilities of my 2B/4.

Some of the early Robin Hoods had some road holding issues, yes, they used Cortina or Sierra suspension parts. All the new ones are OK or as good as most 7's, if you spend the money on the best shocks and not quibble over the £. Again splash your cash on the tyres and alloys. You won't find many problems even with the new kit and budget bits and bobs.

Build quality of the chassis.

You won't have a problem with a new chassis build quality, yes the older ones had some welding and structural issues (cracking on mono cocks). The 2B has the strongest (my opinion) chassis of any 7, that's why I have one and my son is building another with a V8. The 38mm round tube has no weak direction and with 2mm wall is stronger and stiffer than the lighter 25mm 1.5mm square chassis 7's.

Breaks

Here you can fit the discs, pads and cylinders of your choice with what ever ABS control system you desire. However if your doner vehicle has drum brakes at the rear you won't have discs all round and a lesser braking performance to match.

In short some of the information you have brought with you looks like marketing hype from other manufactures, where they are using handling and build quality of 15 years ago against their own standard of today.

PM me if you want a ride, but mine is a road car and not the slightest pretence at being a track car. (Near Basingstoke), do go to GBS and try the demonstrator.

Oh Westfield and Caterham do go to some shows and slide their around cones, not the best demonstration of road holding.

I :wub: my :rhsc: