Chrome Powder Coating - Its The Future!

Guest phil howard

If the cost is reasonable I now know where my wishbones are going this winter...

Beats a lick of hammerite any day :D

Where abouts in Weegie land are they? Can't see an address on the web site.

Guest phil howard
if you don't mind me asking... how much did that little lot cost?

I had a bundle of brackets, mounts etc done in black plus postage back upto Aberdeenshire it was £210, so I would reccon around £100 to £120 for the chrome powder coated items. £20 P&P

Guest phil howard
If the cost is reasonable I now know where my wishbones are going this winter...

The polisher

Mike Robinson

Craigton Ind Est

121 barfillan ave

Cardonald

G52 1BQ

Guest phil howard

I one of my bike engines built by Stewart Young at YPE in Lasswade.........he's a good guy for engine work (wonder if he'd breath on my Zetec?)

I one of my bike engines built by Stewart Young at YPE in Lasswade.........he's a good guy for engine work (wonder if he'd breath on my Zetec?)

Haven't heard of YPE doing car engines - I'll get one of my kids to ask though ( they buy second hand bike racing tyres from them - worn on the outside 1cm but like new for the rest of the tyre )

There is another engine builder round here does most of the pinto's for the stock car boys ( which is why I can never find spares! )

Guest salty_monk

Looks good for a chrome powder from that picture which brings me to another question...

Chrome powder is two stage, the 2nd stage (clearcoat) usually makes it look more like Aluminium. If yours didn't get the 2nd stage then send them back as it will oxidise really quickly (yes, it will rust...).

Dan :)

Guest phil howard
Looks good for a chrome powder from that picture which brings me to another question...

Chrome powder is two stage, the 2nd stage (clearcoat) usually makes it look more like Aluminium. If yours didn't get the 2nd stage then send them back as it will oxidise really quickly (yes, it will rust...).

It doesn't look like there is a clear coat on top.............I will ring the guy today.

The finish is certainly good it just looks like a very very shiney silver paint.

Guest phil howard

I have spoken to Mike (the polisher) and he has assured me that the process is a 4 stage process.

1. Zinc powder coated

2. Gloss black (200+ gloss) - best available imported from states as not available in UK.

3. Chrome powder coated - allowed to harden for 4 days

4. Lacquer powder coated (750+ gloss)

So it looks like the right stuff.

He also said that this is a side line that he does (his company does mainly industrial coatings) and that the chrome side came from his custom car links and took him 5 years to perfect.