Cycle Wing Widening

Guest David Cairncross

Guest David Cairncross

I've just bought the tyres to fit the alloys that came with the kit. They are 205/50/15s. The 8" wide wings aren't really wide enough to cover the tyres and its going to be difficult to make the brackets look right.

I'm thinking of widening the wings.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Guest David Cairncross

We are using the donor fuel tank, heater and wipers. Buying stuff seems a bit against the grain.

I was thinking of sawing them down the middle and filling the gap in the middle with something?

Guest mickmellors

I am pretty sure the factory used to sell extra wide cycle wings - give them a ring.

I once tried to 'extend' a motorbike top box to take 2 full face helmets. I was no stranger to grp having made canoes and a speed boat but I have to admit that the top box project was simply not worth the effort. It looked OK but took 3 weekends to make a decent job and I could have bought a ready made one for a reasonable sum.

Guys

I thought the whole fun in building a Robin Hood was to adapt

and modify!!!!!

I say give it a go try and widen the wings if it do'nt work out

buy some new ones......always worth a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Cheers Ian

Guest mickmellors

Just spotted the posts before and after my last one -

I'm surrounded by bouncing boobs :o ! ! ! ! :rolleyes:

Reminds me of Newark when we were presented with the trophy (again)

Roll on June ! ! !

I'm intending to widen my cycle wings. My plan is to cut them down the middle and add a strip of metal almost the full width of the wing. The fibreglass will then only form the edges of the wings like the rears on a 2B. My car is mild steel so I'll paint the whole lot but on a stainless motor the centre strip could be stainless and match the rest of the car.

Iain

Guest David Cairncross

Well, nothing ventured nothing gained so this is what we did.

Cut the wings down the middle and screwed some strips of ply across the gap keeping the edges 1" apart. See picture. The gap was then masked off with parcel tape and a couple of layers of resin and mat applied from the inside. When it had gone off the strips were removed and the screw holes and gaps filled with P38. It all sanded down to leave it flatter, smoother, stronger and more importanly wider.

When its all sprayed up you'd never know.

post-5-1073944743.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Rizla

ooks ok to me but i still have concerns how it will perfom in the "on road"test

Well just pay RS Jigtec another wad and they will supply you with some of their own widened wings.

Then we could see if yours or Davids are better :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest David Cairncross

Hi guys,

Just an update on our efforts, both wings are all done and just need a polish to shine the paint up more. The picture shows the inside of the wing where we cut down the middle and added an inch, and as its been dry over the weekend i managed to spray the completed wings up, theres no trace of the widening at all (exept that there wider!!!)! I think they are possibly stronger than before now with that fibreglass down the middle so should take some serious "wind buffeting".Definatley cheaper than buying new ones too!

post-5-1076360228.jpg