Steering Boss Removal

Guest nomis

Investigating the Horn Push on my Mountney wheel.

Tried to get the boss off by undoing Countersunk screws which doesn't seem to help.

Any advice on how to seperate the parts, I presume you lever them apart (some how).

Guest Cantbearsed

:mellow: All you do is turn the mountney horn push over in your hand without pressing it and look for the 3 lugs around the rim which move up and down . Taking a flat screwdriver you use the side face of the blade to push towards the centre of the wheel until each lug has been "popped" and then remove the centre portion of the hornpush.

To save you the trouble, there is nothing in there but a piece of blue sprung steel approx 1 1/4 inch long which is riveted to the base and sits up over the 2nd contact. Pressing the button simply makes contact between the two.

Hope this helps and saves you some time.

Guest Cantbearsed

:wacko: Just re-read your post, which bits are you trying to separate?

The horn push just lifts out (close fit..)

The wheel has the little ring of screws round it.

Under the horn push you'll find a nut & washer holding the wheel on.

Behind the boss you'll find the horn connector ring (assuming you used later donor wheel set up...)

Two wires connected to horn ring via spade connectors.

That takes care of the first 4 inches of the steering column. The rest is "experienced fingers only" teritory cos there's a lock and ignition switch hiding there to catch out the uninitiated !

Cheers!

Dale.

I had trouble getting the horn-push to work reliably. In the end, I junked the old arrangement and connected up the horn to a dash-board mounted heavy-duty button close to the steering wheel. Works every time, and gets through the annual MOT with no problem. Don't have much cause to use it in anger anyway!

Cheers

Mike G

I've come to the conclusion (as Mike G) that a Button will be my answer - Haven't got the a steering column with the Horn Connector ring.

Still got the problem that having undone the Counter sunk screws, they won't re-tighten - Just turn loose So will have to take it apart anyway. Will try to lever out the centre horn without damaiging it.

Cheers

Oooops - Dead simple - perhaps I should join the Caterham news groups.

Push through the holes at the back, centre pops out as advised above. Can now tighten counter sunk screws which are actually bolts.