Steering On A Zero

Guest margach31

Guest margach31

Does anyone have a picture of the steering on a zero(rack supplied by gbs and steering column etc from '92 sierra), from the wheel to the rack, also a pic of the front wishbones(built up) the build dvd is not very comprehensive so as a novice was just unsure of a few bits.

is there a specific size wheel to be used on the zero, i have kept the old wheels off the donor car and they dont fit as there hitting the cycle wing, or should i be using spacers.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Jon

Edited by Big Jon1

Well come to the Zero.

It's not that bad really but you would be better throwing the dvd;s for the nearest dog.

Is the steering column adjustable or not first question?

post-3050-1248808168_thumb.jpg

Guest scrabster
Does anyone have a picture of the steering on a zero(rack supplied by gbs and steering column etc from '92 sierra), from the wheel to the rack, also a pic of the front wishbones(built up) the build dvd is not very comprehensive so as a novice was just unsure of a few bits.

is there a specific size wheel to be used on the zero, i have kept the old wheels off the donor car and they dont fit as there hitting the cycle wing, or should i be using spacers.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Jon

hi jon,ive been trying for ages to put a couple of pics on here of my suspension for you but im bloody useless on pc`s. wheels and tyres supplied by gbs are 195 50 15`s.i will try again with pics when the daughter comes home.hth.

jess.

Guest margach31
Well come to the Zero.

It's not that bad really but you would be better throwing the dvd;s for the nearest dog.

Is the steering column adjustable or not first question?

the steering column is adjustable, found the adjustable bit was getting in way so wipped it off to see if it fitted any better and it did, unless theres a way to do it with the adjustment mechanism still on..........all i have at min steering related is the column and rack, its the bits in between im missing the shaft etc just wanted to see how it all went together,

Edited by Big Jon1

Guest margach31
taff had ajustable and we had to do away with his as well.hope you can see what you need with pic i put on how far north are you

i live in leeds.

Jon

Guest Billfish

I believe the Sierra wheels are RT35, and you need RT15. A 20mm spacer will get it to line up according to Richard at GBS (20mm per wheel)

Bill

Guest zoomzoom

Hi

On my zero I used 2 steering U/J'S from rally design the one at the rack is a ''group 4'' type with a spline on both ends (one for the rack and one for the shaft) and the one at the column end has a spline for the shaft on one end and a ''triangle'' fitment to match the sierra column.

They also sell a shaft with splines on each end to match, but this needs to be extended, so I cut it in half and extended it to the correct length using some tube. We slid the tube over the shaft at each end so at least 100mm was inside the tube and welded it in place. I also drilled through the tube and shaft and fitted a bolt for extra safety (you havent seen Baxters welding!!)

sorry no pics at the moment but hope this helps

Also I know gbs do a shaft the correct length for you to buy

Marcus

P.S. The wheel on mine are 15 inch by 6.5 inch ET15 and I have 195/50/15/v tyres on them. (no spacers needed)

Guest JimMearns

I managed to get the adjustable steering column in by cutting down into the mounting bracket.

Had to dent the square tube to allow full adjustment up/down and in/out without column touching anything.

post-3809-1248902371_thumb.jpg

Guest margach31
I didn't have to cut anything with my adjustable, just had to take some of the brackets away and attach it in.

Didn't take too long just about 30 mins of scratching my chin going "mmmmm"

Anyway hope these help

Ian

Ian

Thanks thats helped a lot

Jon