Superchargers

Guest stuart_

Guest stuart_

hi all, so how know about the eaton m45 supercharger?

if say i am starting with 200bhp, and strap a eaton m45 charger on it, will it give enough boost, and i know the charger is desinged for a 1.0 to 2.0 range as i do not want to undersize on teh charger and kill power, or give 20bhp out off it, so i want a notticeable perfomance change.

thanks for any help

stuart

You could write a whole book on the subject but in very general terms the power rating of a supercharger is independant of the engine (assuming the engine isn't going to limit it in some other way).

The reasoning behind this is that almost no matter what else goes on a given amount of fuel and air will make a directly related amount of power. Doesn't matter if your engine has one or ten cylinders and whether it's 20cc or 20 litres. If it takes in the same amount of fuel and air it will make the same power. In reality it will do the same amount of work which is not quite the same thing but good enough for as vague an answer as this.

A supercharger will flow a set maximum amount of air to which you then add the correct amount of fuel to make a stochiometric mixture and assuming the engine burns it correctly and is efficient at converting the resulting heat into kinetic energy you get a directly related amount of power.

So.... if your charger is designed to make 300bhp then added to your 200bhp engine you should be able to get that 300bhp. If you fit it to a smaller engine though you can always bleed off pressure to keep boost down to something sensible and prevent the engine from going pop. To an extent you can also change the gearing to run the charger at a different speed but they usually have a specific speed range where they work effectively and much outside that you lose so much performance that you might as well go to the extra effort to get a charger that's the correct size.

Iain

Guest peter2b2002

I've been thinking of fitting a M45 to my pinto (had one sitting in my shed for 2 years), there are a couple on youtube fitted to capris one a carb the other an efi both 2ltr, you will have to lower the compression a bit other wise bang goes the pistons , something to increase the fueling also how to mount it, it can be done cos it's been done before, if I can get hold of an old dead pinto block +head I will play about mounting mine,

good luck, peter2b