Registration Plates Advice

Guest Andrew Ferriby

Guest Andrew Ferriby

Hiya People,

I am thinking of buying Kit Car to build at home...... Probably a Zero i think but im not 100% as yet...

What are the rules on getting the car registered at DVLA? Will it go on a Q plate or a normal one? I would probably do it the other way and not use a donor car?

Thanks,

Andy Ferriby

Guest scrabster
Hiya People,

I am thinking of buying Kit Car to build at home...... Probably a Zero i think but im not 100% as yet...

What are the rules on getting the car registered at DVLA? Will it go on a Q plate or a normal one? I would probably do it the other way and not use a donor car?

Thanks,

Andy Ferriby

hi,a donor car would get you an age related plate,no donor then you get a Q.

jess.

As Tony says there are basically three ways it can go.

If you use a single donor vehicle and enough parts come from the donor then you should get an age related plate the same age as the donor.

If you don't use a single donor but use second hand/re-conditioned parts then you will get a Q-plate

If you use all new parts and importantly can prove it then you can get a current plate. There is an exemption for this part that allows one major component to have been re-conditioned to "as new" condition so new parts plus a re-con engine would still get you a new registration.

Iain

Guest Andrew Ferriby
As Tony says there are basically three ways it can go.

If you use a single donor vehicle and enough parts come from the donor then you should get an age related plate the same age as the donor.

If you don't use a single donor but use second hand/re-conditioned parts then you will get a Q-plate

If you use all new parts and importantly can prove it then you can get a current plate. There is an exemption for this part that allows one major component to have been re-conditioned to "as new" condition so new parts plus a re-con engine would still get you a new registration.

Iain

Thanks ever so much for taking time to reply to my probably easy question that I posted!

Just 1 more very quick question.....

Would following kit car be ok to use (meaning I could get new parts - Engine, Gearbox and other parts)

Robin Hood Zero base kit?

Thanks for your help,

Andy Ferriby

I'm not so familiar with the Zero and exactly what you need to add to the base kit in order to get a car on the road.

The parts of the base kit would be considered new and the receipt from GBSC would be accepted as proof of that.

Most people not using a donor car would go for a Zetec engine which can be found new.

The transmission, steering and rear axle/diff could be a bit more difficult - most of these parts are still Sierra which do the job just fine but since the Sierra has been out of production for nearly 20 years they are becoming a bit scarce in new form. Many places will still sell all the necessary bits but they will be second-hand or re-conditioned and if the receipt says so then VOSA won't accept them as new parts and you'll end up with a Q.

You may well come across other parts where this is the case.

For what it's worth - in my opinion you would be best to get the oldest suitable donor vehicle you can find. My reasoning in this is that the resulting car "should" be subject to the regulations for the registration year. An older car has less stringent rules for emissions and a couple of other things - even if you plan to run a nice shiny new super efficient engine and other systems which will rival the newest offerings from the major manufacturers it's going to be nice to have that room to wriggle at registration time and later if you get bitten by the tinkering bug. An age related plate also gives you some scope to play around with personal plates if you should so desire which a Q-plate will instantly prevent. I'm building an RS200 lookey-like and have a 1989 donor which keeps me clear of needing to mess with catalysts for the exhaust and assuming I manage to retain single donor status I'll be able to put a plate on it at a later date which makes it look more like the "correct" age (if I can be bothered and want to spend the money). Not as much of an issue with a 7 style car but.....

Iain