Drive Shaft Boot, Diff. Seal & Handbrake

Jamiep

Right long story short,

decided to service the hood and top up gearbox and diff etc, after running back and forth to Halfords replacing incorrect plugs/ leads just about everything the computer said was for a sierra etc. I then discovered I had no hex drive big enough for the gearbox or diff plug :cray:

also discovered this:

post-3623-1262525420_thumb.jpg

The handbrake cable has rubbed through the drive shaft boot and the diff looks like its leaking too. :80:

So my questions for today are:-

1. what size hex do I need for the drain plugs, looks a tad over 3/8" but not quite 10mm, I can only find 10mm for fords is this right?

2. are these flexi-boots the one I need ebay link to item 170424348873

3. I presume I'll need new grease, can't find Duckhams LBM10 what is an alternative?

4. wheres the best place to get a new diff seal from, will ford still have them as spares? <insert bent over smiley>

5. Is that handbrake cable too long as the Haynes photo shows it well ahead of the drive shaft and can it be shortened?

Thats all for today....promise!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Guest MartinP
Right long story short,

decided to service the hood and top up gearbox and diff etc, after running back and forth to Halfords replacing incorrect plugs/ leads just about everything the computer said was for a sierra etc. I then discovered I had no hex drive big enough for the gearbox or diff plug :cray:

also discovered this:

post-3623-1262525420_thumb.jpg

The handbrake cable has rubbed through the drive shaft boot and the diff looks like its leaking too. :80:

So my questions for today are:-

1. what size hex do I need for the drain plugs, looks a tad over 3/8" but not quite 10mm, I can only find 10mm for fords is this right?

2. are these flexi-boots the one I need ebay link to item 170424348873

3. I presume I'll need new grease, can't find Duckhams LBM10 what is an alternative?

4. wheres the best place to get a new diff seal from, will ford still have them as spares? <insert bent over smiley>

5. Is that handbrake cable too long as the Haynes photo shows it well ahead of the drive shaft and can it be shortened?

Thats all for today....promise!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

regarding the boot;

I used this company, no problems what so ever. bought 1 cone & boot set and 3 seperate boots recently. Took about 15 minutes to fit the first one and less to fit the others. cut off the excess before fitting the clip on the large end. Kit was supplied with good instructions and both metal & plastic cable tie clips, so you takes your choice, also sachet of top up grease included.

Current sale item 170422183448, you will find other (single ) items if you don't want the set.

Martin

Guest Ian & Carole

Jamie

Some have had great success using the split / stick together boots.

Must make sure that you have hopital style cleanliness or the glue wont set.

Must make sure that you have hopital style cleanliness or the glue wont set.

LOL don't think i'll risk that one, just opened a bottle of oil, without doing anything else and I'm some how covered in the stuff, think it must have been on the bottom :rolleyes: I'd probably have the boot fall off long before I managed to prise the shaft off my fingers.

Guest oddsocks

I bought the original boots from local motor factors and they where only £5 each! They came with grease and ties and where easy to fit no cutting bits off, heres the number-

GMF motor factors 01656 649493

Guest smartfazer

Jamie,

The ebay ones are the correct ones and are easy to fit.

The new diff seals are also available on ebay.

Give us a mo and I'll find a link.

Steve.

The new diff seals are also available on ebay.

Are these the right ones, link to ebay seals is this a good price? seems abit steep to me. Just found out a new ford dealer has opened near work so will go and see them in morning before clicking buy!

Anybody any wiser on the handbrake cable, Being the exmo its pretty much all sierra underneath at the back and the cable seems to go to original brackets so i'm supprised its so close to the shaft.

I'm guessing the outer sleeves are too long but can they be cut down?

Guest smartfazer
Are these the right ones, link to ebay seals is this a good price? seems abit steep to me. Just found out a new ford dealer has opened near work so will go and see them in morning before clicking buy!

Anybody any wiser on the handbrake cable, Being the exmo its pretty much all sierra underneath at the back and the cable seems to go to original brackets so i'm supprised its so close to the shaft.

I'm guessing the outer sleeves are too long but can they be cut down?

Jamie,

Yes they are the ones, although I don't remember them being quite that expensive. The company selling them are really good to deal with though, and they are a quality item. When you get around to taking out the old seals, do it/them with a proper puller as you don't want to score the surfaces where the seals sit. Plus they can be a bugger to get out without the correct tools anyway.

The outer sleeves of the H/brake cable can be cut down, but you may have to cut the inner as well. If you do, then cut and re-join the middle of the cable to save messing about with re-doing the nipples.

HTH

Steve

thanks for that, just ordered them. went to ford today and got asked for reg plate! "can't find anything on this system without a reg plate" tried the original sierra plate then as last resort the hood (knew it wouldn't work but guy thought it might) then got bored. ebays easier. :rolleyes:

Whats the special tool I require, was going to gently prise out as instructed by haynes, then swear lots and maybe kick something :D