Engine Cuts Out After 2 Miles

Guest chrispine

Guest chrispine

Hi, I have a Hood with 2L DOHC Sierra engine running standard carb and ignition (ESC ll), starts and ticks over, runs for 2 miles gently, if I put my foot down it cuts out after about 100 yards, if I take the air filter off and pump the throttle there is petrol in the carb and if I start the engine it runs VERY rough and won't rev at all and I can see petrol going down the carb, if I let it cool for 10 minutes it runs fine but cuts out again as before, am down to ignition coil or HT lead from coil to dizzy, any advice appreciated or if anyone around Merthyr Tydfil has a coil I could borrow it would be appreciated. thanks in advance. Chris.

13th May, changed coil (twice), no different, watched youtube video on how to set float heights properly, mine were 5mm out (too weak), don't really understand how I could see petrol going down the carb but it wouldn't fire but it goes like a rocket now, (compared to how it was), well pleased, just have to get idle/slow running tweaked now, all set for VW festival in Plymouth in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice

Chris

Edited by crazy chris3rd

Guest Tweedy

I have the same powerplant and did have lots of problems with icing in the carb.I originally had a low profile Pipercross filter and fitted a bonnet scoop as the filter was very close to the u/side of the bonnet.In my case I used to get about 20 miles with normal driving before it cut out.Given a few minutes for heat from the engine to warm the carb it was OK for another 20 miles.My solution was to make up a dome over the carb top with a tapered branch to a conical filter (e-bay £11).This means that the air is drawn in from the warm side of the radiator.If this is your problem I can send you some pics.Obviously your problem is much more severe and may not be icing at all.Icing can occur even in the summer.

Cheers Mike

Guest marsbar

When it stops running check to see if the coil is hot to touch, if it is very warm the oil that acts as an insulant breaks down and stops the sparks.

If its not this then its something else and you have elliminated 1 thing.

Does it do the same if you take the petrol cap off? Or when it cuts out have you immediately tried taking the petrol cap off and listening for a hiss of in-rushing air? I've seen similar things when a non-vented cap has been fitted to a sealed system and the petrol being drawn out of the tank was not being replaced by air and eventually enough negative pressure was developed in the tank to prevent the pump drawing fuel. It would restart almost instantly ecause as soon as the engine stopped some air managed to get back into the tank but obviously the sooner you re-started the less of a buffer had built up before it happened again.

Iain