Aftermarket Gauges

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Guest MikeD318

It should be okay, but you might need to get the speedo calibrated. I think the rules for it are that it is okay if it reads over a little bit (e.g. if you're actually doing 70 mph but the speedo reads 72 mph) but it can't read under (e.g. you're doing 72 mph but the speedo reads 70 mph). To get the speedo to read correctly without callibration you will need to buy one that is 1000 revs of the cable / mile. I think a speedo from a Triumph Spitfire will work or you could go down the Capri clocks route.

Hope this helps

Mike.

The first problem is the speedo. Electronic ones are expensive but easy to calibrate. Mechanical ones are cheaper, and often already closely calibrated enough to pass SVA, but if not it's about 50 quid to get it adjusted.

The second biggest problem with fitting gauges pre-SVA is their bezels. The old type Smiths gauges need to be recessed into the panel, otherwise their dangerously sharp pointy bezels could impale the passengers head!!! My solution here was a piece of perspex over the whole lot which was removed within 10 minutes of getting home from the test. :lol:

Ant

Hi Mike,

I have a Series III which I have been running for nearly 7 years using the clocks from a Capri. The speedo calibration is OK as it is 1000 revs per mile. At the moment I am making a new dashboard using VDO clocks bought from:

Lowtension VDO Clocks

This is an electronic speedo which requires an electronic speed sensor, again bought from:

Lowtension Speed Sensor

The sensor connects straight onto the existing sierra speedo cable which makes life very easy.

The only trouble going this route is the cost, luckily I have an understanding wife who enjoys helping and will do all the vinyl fitting for me!

Nigel.

Guest MikeD318

Nigel,

Thanks for the info. I bet they'll look great in the dash. I bought some Capri clocks from Longboarder a few weeks ago. I think they'll do the job for now but I'll be interested for a future project once the hood is up and running. :D

Mike.

I am making a seperate dash with Capri speedo and rev counter and a host of other guages from Ebay, i think it came to just over 100 bucks in the end.

Hope fully all should turn out well. :huh:

This of course is being fitted post SVA as i dont want to risk failing on such a simple thing, especially when its only a matter of a coupld of bolts holding it in.

Good luck.

Stu :D