Zetec Into 3a

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

Guys.

I'm starting to accrue the bits required for my pinto - zetec swap which I will be starting in Sept/Oct time. I was admiring the zetec as it sits on its dolly, and then I had a look in the bay of the 3a, and had a horrid thought.

The engine mounts in the 3a sit on a S/S box and are horizontal. This box is part of the monocoque. I don't think that these mounts will be any good for the zetec, so unless someone makes them, i'm stuffed! The ones on there are cast so were bought somewhere, but as I don't have a welder I'm looking at an off the shelf item really, unless someone knows the dimensions and is willing to make a pair for me? :help:

Has anyone else fitted a silver top zetec into a 3a? I would like to hear from you if you would be so kind.

Thanks

Daz

Guest erichetherington

The engine mounts in a 3A are not part of the monocoque, they are "sledges" which are bolted through to fix in place. So it should be possible to reposition them to suit a Zetec or even slide them out completely and replace with something similar.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the Zetec to give any help on that.

Guest The Modfather

Thanks Eric. If you built your own 3, did you position them yourself, or were they in situ? I'm just thinking that they could be cut down if too high (which I think they will be)and re-sited elsewhere?????

Cheers

Guest erichetherington

Daz,

The only thing not clear in Jim's article is that the "sledge/skids" are fixed in place by a series of bolts through the bottom of the bulkhead/footwell and the front box section where the suspesion mounts. Plus anything else that is bolted to the floor of the engine compartment such as the antiroll bar (if still fitted). Once all the bolts are removed it should be possible to move them around.

Hope that helps.

Guest The Modfather

Go and have a look at how I fitted the Vauxhall into the Mark 3 (same as the 3A) http://nw.rhocar.org/engineswop.htm

Hi Jim.

Just read your build, very informative and nice that you have instructed so well, thanks.

My worries always have been with the sierra pedal box, which was your bug bear, so now I know that this will be an ass ache for me. Especially as I don't have a welder! Santa might just have to come earlier this year :rolleyes:

I can see what you did to the engine mount boxes, great tip re the cutting. If you don't mind I will save your pages to my favourites for refernce.

Thanks again for letting me know about them.

Regards

Darren.

p.s. I may need to tug you for advice on the pedals when it comes to it if you don't mind mate?

Guest The Modfather

Daz,

The only thing not clear in Jim's article is that the "sledge/skids" are fixed in place by a series of bolts through the bottom of the bulkhead/footwell and the front box section where the suspesion mounts. Plus anything else that is bolted to the floor of the engine compartment such as the antiroll bar (if still fitted). Once all the bolts are removed it should be possible to move them around.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Eric, I missed your reply as I was replying to Jims post. Any idea then why Jim cut his off?

Darren

Because the *sledges* were bolted into place with lots of other things were the bolts passed through them, ie anti-roll bar or strengthening plates that used the same holes in my case. So moving the sledges wasn't an option, as new holes would need to be drilled, and Swiss cheese I didn't want, also the height of one side needed to be altered, so the box would need to be cut down anyway.

The sledges, if freed off, will only move around a little unless you shorten them, but then you'd be loosing floor strength if they don't meet the bulkhead & front member.