Charge Temp

Guest Mr Pid

Guest Mr Pid

I recently acquired a little digital guage to fit into my dash which will show the temp inside the car, has a clock and another sender you can place anywhere u like to show another temp, ie out side or as recomended on the unit-just before the inlet manifold to measure the temp of the charged air coming from the turbo into the engine.

Just wondering what good this is? :huh:

Is it worth just sticking it under my rear wheel arch to let me know if its bloody freezin, which im sure i could work out myself, especially in a hood! :o

Or is it a valuable piece of information to know what temp the air is going into the engine at, making sure the intercooler is working efficiently etc? :(

Im torn between the two options!!

Any help much apprecitated!

Cheers

Stu :D

Knowing the temperature of the air drawn into the engine is a good diagnostic point if you're trying to solve a problem but otherwise you just want it as cold as possible. Outside temp like you say should be obvious enough to you - fancy cars sometimes have a sensor to warn these people in their nice warm tin-tops that just coz they're cozy it doesn't mean there ain't ice on the road. Personally I'd go for the intake temp as the more useful of the two but I'd never expect to actually need it for anything other than your initial setup or if you change any of the intake system.

Iain

Guest MikeD318

Just as Iain says. It's useful to know when it goes below freezing outside if you're in a nice cosy car with the heating on and light, vague power steering. More of a gimmick than useful unless you want to check if the weather man got his prediction right ;)

Guest AWhite

I have a temp sensor mounted on the exhaust side near the brake servo - it lets me keep an eye on the temp near the brake reservoir/servo so hopefully i'll know if the exhaust is gonna cook the brake fluid before it happens.

Andy