Milling Help Needed

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

I took my length of 304 stainless steel round bar over to an engineering company to speak to them about milling it for my tie bar conversion, and the "ooh's" and "aarh's" that I got back when I asked for the costing was, well, annoying.

He wouldn't give me a price there and then, stating that he would have to speak to another bloke and that he would call me with the price and time scale (app. 2 weeks when we spoke).

Now, it's a 20mm solid 304 grade SS round bar, that I need milling down to 16mm on one end for a length of 75mm, and then an external thread to take the nyloc nut for 43mm, and I need an internal thread at the other end, for 35mm, to take an M12 thread for a rose joint. I need a 20deg angle half way along to clear the tyre when on full lock. Simples? Apparently not according to "Ooh aarh Charlie geezer".

Is there anyone who could do this for me if I posted it off to you? And please, no "Oohs and Aarh's" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Isn't anything simple for anyone anymore?????

Ranting Dazza

Hi, Guy obviously doesn't want the job! Must be someone who would take it on in the neighbour hood

Do you have a drawing?

From description do you mean one end needs turning down to 16mm so it remains circular in section for the thread?

How critical is the 20 degree angle- would this be best done on site?

I''m on hols at moment but will be popping in to work next week, we have a small miller and several lathes so could probably help you on your way but would prefer a clear drawing to work off so there's no misunderstandings!

M12 thread isn't a prob but not sure if we'd have a die for your nyloc, maybe some one else will jump out of the wood work with better facilities. :D

atb

Mike

Guest The Modfather

Hi Mike.

I have only done a sketch but with the accurate measurements for them. I could do similar on Paint program and email it to you. I don't have anything more suited than that I'm afraid. I'm interested in hearing their price, personally I think it'l be high purely for the purpose of me not accepting. I have found another company nearby and I need to ring them tomorrow.

Please hold that kind offer and I'll get back to you.

Many thanks

Darren

Guest Noddy006

Hi Darren

If you are still stuck and as per my previous post I have a lathe and may be able to do the turning but it will depend on type of Stainless and also time may be difficult. Some stainless is horrible to turn and almost impossible to get a really nice finish. I don't have a suitable tap either but can bore the bar for you to tap. I hope to do a similar Mod on mine but will be using plain steel. Have you got any spare stainless that I can test turn - only need a little length. I am likely to be in Thatcham sometime this week so could collect and then do a test. If you would like me to try pm me your telephone no. and we can try and arrange a meet. Best of luck. Ian H

Although I don't have the equipment I know what your after, the guy obviously doesn't want the work as its not a big job on its own, for similar items I used to get charged about 25/30 pounds although we used to use 303 grade as it machines a bit better.

a hand drawn sketch should be fine, don't put tight tolerances on as this will increase the price, also tell them its free issue material if you have the bar otherwise they will add the cost of a 3.2mtr length unless they have any scrap.

Use the correct terminology when talking to them ie you want one end turning down to 16mm diameter with an M16 male thread about 45mm long and the other end drilling and tapping M12 X ?? deep, sometimes it helps if they think you know what’s involved and what it may cost.

Hope this help, if you get desperate either scan/ photo your sketch and I'll speak to my old suppliers for a price.

The only awkward part is bending the angle as it requires a press break at quite high tonnage with a risk of marking the bar with the tooling, a machine shop won't have this but a fab shop would, again I may be able to help.

Are you in a hurry as this is a mod I require so could look at price for 4 rather then two but wont get chance to look at mine until Sunday.

regards,

Jamie

Guest The Modfather

Hi Jamie.

I have a metre length of 304 and it is currently with a very local engineering company and I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a price and a time line. I spoke to them as you suggested, and I believe he never had to correct me, so he should know what I need. I just think that they don't want the job and are *issing me about. Another local shop wanted circa £100 for the job, so likewise, I don't think that they are too interested either. I'd have thought in this current climate any work is better than none? I will pop into the place on the way home tomorrow and see what they say.

There is a guy on here who has stated that he can do it at his place of work and a quick turn around to boot, so I guess he will get the job. However, if this doesn't come to fruition, I have had several other offers as you can see above so I'll get it done one way or another!

Funnily enough, it's the same company that wouldn't make me 2 new roof hoops a little while back. Blimey, I'm only trying to help a local company, trying to keep my community in business :diablo:

Many thanks Jamie.

Darren

Guest The Modfather

Well, the jury has returned, and they want £130. I said I only want to do my car and not the rest of the club :rofl:

So, it's off to one of the guys on here.

Guest Stuartl

Well, the jury has returned, and they want £130. I said I only want to do my car and not the rest of the club :rofl:

So, it's off to one of the guys on here.

Arrest them mate, simple case of daylight robbery. Anything they do say.......you know the rest!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest The Modfather

Hi Dave.

I have sent you a PM mate. Are these mine? I only sent it Thursday or Friday????????

If they are, then you is the man, incredible, I'm so chuffed.

Cheers Dave.

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

snotfart, I wish I had your garage! the tie bars look spot-on and the milling of the flats to aid tighening of the nuts is a nice touch.

Daz, have you looked into bending the bars to clear the wheels or are you putting stops on the steering rack?

In your other post you feared that 304 grade st/st is a poor grade, don't worry about that. Just make sure you rinse it down if used in salty conditions and it will be fine.(this aplies to most stainless below 316 grade, including the grades robin hood used to make the tubs, which i believe would be in the 400 grades to reduce the risk of work hardening)

Guest The Modfather

Hi Mike.

They are going on today :yahoo: only then will I know the real angle of the wheels at full lock. This RS place, is that all they are called? I will certainly seek them out as I don't want the tyres to hit.

Hoping to get a bit done today, old gearbox out and new one in, tie bars on, loom in???????

Jamie, Snotfart bent them for me as well, 20deg to help the tyre clearance. He done a good job for me and I'm well pleased. I will keep them clean :crazy:

I will update later

Thanks Mike

Darren