Very Inaccurate Fuel Gauge

Guest Jameslark

Guest Jameslark

The current fuel gauge is very inaccurate and it reads only 3/4 when full to the brim and reads empty when there is at least 10 litres left. Is it best to change the fuel tank sender unit as I believe the original donor sender has been used or can one re-calibrate to get a better reading? I was thinking of by passing the old Sierra pod gauge and fitting a new unit and dial until I get round to replacing the dash set up.

Any help would be great because I am mileage counting at the moment and I will get it wrong one day!!!

Guest mower man

Ihave had similar probs but learnt to live with it either by refiil every 100 miles or carry a 5ltr can at all times ,pain dons la derriare but you dont get stuck mower man :clapping: :good: :crazy:

Guest Ian & Carole

If you are using the Sierra sender then lift it out and bend the wire arm that the float is on.

Always best though, to have a gauge reading empty when there is still some fuel left.

With a little time you can get a really acurate reading.

HTHs

Guest chris brown

The current fuel gauge is very inaccurate and it reads only 3/4 when full to the brim and reads empty when there is at least 10 litres left. Is it best to change the fuel tank sender unit as I believe the original donor sender has been used or can one re-calibrate to get a better reading? I was thinking of by passing the old Sierra pod gauge and fitting a new unit and dial until I get round to replacing the dash set up.

Any help would be great because I am mileage counting at the moment and I will get it wrong one day!!!

Mine is the same and never found it a problem it gives you time to look for a filling station while reading empty BTW my MX5 reads just the same.

have same problem sierra sender unit i believe with smiths fuel gauge reads half to 3/4 also temp reads high no mechanical or cooling faults again smiths gauge to ford sensor in block any ideas and where could i contact GBS cheers folks

Guest jasonmorris

In my opinion, if your gauge is under reading, and as you say has about 10 litres left when reading empty then at 30mpg this gives you 60-70 miles to fill up. Also remember you don't want to let a fuel tank run nearly empty anyway due to any settlement in the bottom. Sounds ideal to me, I'd live with it mate and save yourself any hassle.

Jason