Kaig / Metro Help Please

Guest QSpearing

Guest QSpearing

Hi to you all - well I am the latest owner of this little car and am well on the way to putting it to rights - it has passed its MOT. It is already getting grins from me and passers by, although with the recent weather, it is not looking my sharpest decision. Just wait until the warm weather!! There are still a number of issues that would be easiest addressed by finding a complete Austin Metro ( I don't think a Rover is suitable ) and using it for spares. If anyone knows of one that is mechanically OK but suffering from metal moth, please let me know. Will post developments if any one is interested.

Guest chris brown

Why not go for something like this on eBay?Should give you a good selection of spares. Good to hear of someone with one apart from Sue.

Just realised that may be a K series but not a big job to change over and a much better engine. Don't believe all you here about the K series properly looked after they are a brilliant little engine

Guest QSpearing

Why not go for something like this on eBay?Should give you a good selection of spares. Good to hear of someone with one apart from Sue.

Just realised that may be a K series but not a big job to change over and a much better engine. Don't believe all you here about the K series properly looked after they are a brilliant little engine

Thanks for the suggestion - dont know what it would take to put a k-series in - mounting points, dimensions and so on - will try to find out - maybe someone out there can help? A Rover will be much easier to source than an Austin. Cheers

Guest QSpearing

Which Kaig do you have? Has Little Bob resurfaced?

The K series will fit but it will need some serious engineering skills!

Not sure about Little Bob but the Kaig came from Stuart in Gloucester - there is a photo on my profile which was one used in the auction - when the weather is better I will do some personal shots - serious engineering is out as I do not have the skills - anyone know any of the history of this Kaig (REG G xxYEE) I would be glad to hear. I did have a hand in building another Kaig which is now owned by my mate who was the real talent in doing the work. The fun had with our original Kaig was the reason that I wanted my own.

Just been going through the Kaig's paperwork and your name has come up as a previous owner - is this you and do you know Sue, who it has been suggested was also a previous owner?

Edited by Q:-))

Which bits are you after from the Metro? Engine aside there are a lot of other differences between Rover and Austin Metros so a Rover would liley be no good for anything. 1.3 Austin Metro's tend to fetch a premium as Mini owners want the engine and box. 998's tend to be more reasonable.

There was a 998 on Pistonheads for sale which was supercharged.... I would imagine it would be a giggle in a Kaig.

Iain

Guest QSpearing

Which bits are you after from the Metro? Engine aside there are a lot of other differences between Rover and Austin Metros so a Rover would liley be no good for anything. 1.3 Austin Metro's tend to fetch a premium as Mini owners want the engine and box. 998's tend to be more reasonable.

There was a 998 on Pistonheads for sale which was supercharged.... I would imagine it would be a giggle in a Kaig.

Iain

Aside from the engine - mine has 'Big End Knock' according to my mate so either needs replacing or rebuilding - The interior could do with upgrading as the current interior has definitely seen better days - and a good set of spares will always be a canny investment as they are becoming scarce - got to keep the buggy on the road. Our original Kaig had the 998 and because of the weight reduction buzzed around quite happily and with a decent degree of nip. The 1275 goes like stink so would be the preferred choice, although this little buggy is about fun rather than all out speed. (speed helps though!!)

Guest QSpearing

Well; if it came from "Stuart" in Glouster then it is Sue's old one that he got from her last autumn.

Done a bit of digging and referencing to the paperwork that I got with the Kaig and Tim Norman's name has come up as a previous owner - is this the same Tim as has posted here and is Sue his wife? Fascinating.

Guest QSpearing

Not sure about Little Bob but the Kaig came from Stuart in Gloucester - there is a photo on my profile which was one used in the auction - when the weather is better I will do some personal shots - serious engineering is out as I do not have the skills - anyone know any of the history of this Kaig (REG G xxYEE) I would be glad to hear. I did have a hand in building another Kaig which is now owned by my mate who was the real talent in doing the work. The fun had with our original Kaig was the reason that I wanted my own.

Tim - Just been going through the Kaig's paperwork and your name has come up as a previous owner - is this you and do you know Sue, who it has been suggested was also a previous owner?

Guest Tim Norman

Yep thats Little Bob.

Glad to see he has found a new home. The engine is a 1275 out of an MG Metro and has but turned out as you say to have a bit of a "knock". One of the jobs that really did need doing though was to move the silencer to one side rather than the middle. At certain speeds you could smell the exhaust fumes tumbling in from the back of the car. With the exhaust nearer the side this didn't happen.

Enjoy him, Sue did, when she had the time!

Guest Bob's Babe

Little Bob was with us for quite a while. We bought him from the chap in Lincoln that built him, (he died a year or two later). Tim put in the mini engine, the wheels came from brother in law's mini, Tim and John painted him cadbury purple and John's wife did the surrey style roof and back window. We changed the seats and added funky purple edged mats etc. Tim will post some pics of him before he left us, when he gets home at the weekend.

I stopped driving him as much because my hours went up at work, so he hardly did any miles the last 3 years we had him. He was always fab fun and ran really well, keeping up with a long string of Hoody's on many runs. The kids loved him and we always got lots of admiring stares.....usually cos we were in the front of the line of Hoods.

Can't tell you much technically, but he was a joy to drive, even if the pedals were set slightly to the left!!

Sue