Fuel Gauge

Guest Kennedy48

Guest mikea

I have just bought smiths telemetrix gauges. I got the fuel sender with them. As said on here .. no pick or breather pipes .. so connected to the existing Sierra sender .. works perfectly. According to the smiths website most senders and gauges work to a european standard in terms of the resistance range. If the guages or sender are more than 20 years old then more likely to be a problem.

Guest sandy77uk

Are you using this smith fuel sensor. Is it easy to fit and that?

Thanks

luke

yeap bought a smiths sender as well, Piece of piss to fit (unless you get the float on upside down :blush: )

Guest Kennedy48

Thats it then. The smiths gauges won't be compatible with the standard ford fuel sender that comes with the kit. Its a messy job to change because it might mean drilling a new fuel pickup pipe because most aftermarket senders don't have a pickup pipe on them. Hence why a lot of people don't bother.

If you can take a pic of the top of the fuel sender we will be able to tell you if its a standard one.

Andy

heres a picture of my sender. i was messing with the wires yesturday and it seemed to be reading right this time. i was lifting and lowering the float and it was working all good on the gauges.

post-7028-0-63953900-1304853998_thumb.jpg

Guest Ian & Carole

If i remember correctly the fuel pick up pipe is a long way from the bottom of the tank (2" IIRC) if you are using the R/Hood supplied tank with that pick up.

I removed the filter and extended the pipe so as to get to the bottom of the tank, fitted an inline filter at the top of the sender to compensate.

Just pop a ruler into tank and get a measurement.

Guest AWhite

That's the standard RH (Ford) sender if your Smiths gauges work with it then your either lucky or it been modified somehow.

Personally I wouldn't trust and it might not be accurate. I know someone else with your gauges and that sender and they have just put up with the gauge reading backwards.

The smith sender does not have a pickup pipe in it so you will have to drill a hole in it and fit a pickup pipe in it or drill a hole in the tank. I made a pickup pipe out of copper pipe (the smaller stuff you get from B & Q etc) the little filter thing on your existing sender fits straight over the pipe. And as Ian says it allows you to get the pipe closer to the bottom of the tank.

Andy