Cleaning Brakes And Hubs For Painting

baj25

I’ve got my front hubs and brakes off at the moment and am looking at cleaning them up prior to repainting. Existing finish is a mix of old paint and light rust. Paint (POR20) says clean bare metal required. Any tips on cleaning them up? I’ve seen the washing soda/ battery charge trick and might try it- not sure about using it on calipers though (pistons are still in and hose connected to car). Tried steel wire brush in pillar drill, slow, can’t get to all areas and had to pick some steel wires out of my face this morning- ouch. TIA, Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’ve had a busy few evenings attacking these. Paint stripper worked well on mudguard brackets. Electrolysis using washing soda solution wasn’t as effective as I’d imagined. It is however very spectacular when grinding sparks ignite the Hydrogen that is given off… Best so far is a rag soaked in thinners and vigorous rubbing. Bit bored of it now, need to get painting and bolting things together! Bri

Guest paulrrh2b

Hi Guys,

I recently refurb'd my front end suspension and hubs. Whilst undecided on a new set up, i just wanted to tidy them up. So, with a good brush with a wire brush and a liberal wash in thinners, I decided to just paint them with smooth black Hammerite. The night before was about minus 4 and after warming the workshop I opened the tin to discover it was as thick as treacle, so I thought I would try a bit any way. Surprisingly, the Hammerite went on well, then set to a mirror smooth finish! I decided to do the whole suspension arms and hubs as an experiment. Fantastic results - looks like they are powder coated! Did the same on the calipers with exactly the same results. I have also tried to remove the paint as part of the experiment and it is set like bell metal and wont budge!

Give it a try - if its not cold enough, stick the pot in the fridge!

Paul