Rear Wheel Arch

Guest maltbyd

Guest maltbyd

Hi chapsI am wondering what to use to glue the GPR wheel arch to the steel arch ,friends sugest no nails ,but Ive used this at work with not much sucess.I have not seen many RH vehicles and what do you lads use to blend the GPR to the steel arch,or do you blend?I didnt want to use any body filler if I had to,(my panels are mild steel)

Cheers Dave

Check out the item about doing this job on our northwest hoodie site (link from top of rhocar "links" page)

Silocone is good enough, but make sure that you prepare your metal bits first, ie get the edges smooth.

You'll find the article on the build tips link on the NW site.

Guest Phil Slater

I haven't got this far in my build yet, but I've heard good things about Sikaflex and plan to use it myself. It is quite a bit more expensive than silicone - and more permanent. It's also a bit of a b**ger to get off your hands, or anything else for that matter, once it's set, so the use of latex/vinyl gloves recommended.

So it may be another option for you to consider.

Phil Slater

Guest graham dockerill
B) Im just about at the rear wheel arch stage and I thought about sikaflex but as Phil implied it sticks like *bleep* to a blanket , so I think I will use silacone so if I mess them up at least I can got them off again. Graham

I used Wickes "Forget nails". I assembled them as per the videos using two M4 bolts and set the position and tension right. Then I masking taped over the outside to hold it in position, and squirted about 1/4 of a tube of forget nails into the gap on the inside. This has held very well through the months up to fitting the rear lights and the stone guards. It's still rock solid now, but isn't an issues because the light bolts and the stoneguard fittings hold them in place too now.

Ant

PS - I've walked into them many times whilst creeping past the car in the garage, and even given them a good bash on at least two occassions (One where I caught the rim on the garage door frame when wheeling the car in), and the forget nails was fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tom Lawless

Hi Dave; I used No Nails to fit the GRP to my mild steel rear wings. About three months later I decided to replace all of the external panels with stainless steel ones. I collected the new panels from RH and after fitting the rear panel I started to strip the GRP from the mild steel ones. I found to my complete surprise that the steel was almost rusted through where the No Nails made contact with the steel. I abandoned the No Nails in favour of clear silicon which appears to do the job well. Best regards Tom Lawless :o