Shell Optimax 98 Ron

Guest Takumi

Guest Takumi

Hi,

Has anyone noticed the beneifts of high octane fuel on the engine.? does is run a bit quieter / smoother?

Ive been out and got half a tanks worth in petrol cans, bit shocked at 88.9p/litre, for the MoT/Setup next friday.

What effect will high RON fuel have on emissions, ? Shells website say is reduces nasty gasses, but doesnt quantify this.

Is it worth filling the rest of the tank with, Kenco Special blend, 103 RON fuel.?

any high octane replies most appreciated.hehe

tak

Guest Ianz

Tak

Is it worth filling the rest of the tank with, Kenco Special blend

I put petrol in my tank no wonder you have problems if your filling your

tank with coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Guest Takumi

haha

If you blend 10% v/v Methanol to 98 RON Petrol, this increases its octane rating by 4pts giving you a 102 RON fuel. 20% v/v about 6pts -about 104 RON.

I wouldn't reccomend more than a 1:10 blend, as methanol is a weak corrosive, and can corrode Aluminium alloys, Copper & rubber given enough contact time. But as You'll never use it all the time this is of no consequence.

I orignally spoke to CK Chemicals (Industrial Solvent supplier) to enquire about Methanol, but they dont sell to the public, no will they sell any alchohol derivates for use as fuel.

The best source for Methanol, and Nitro-Methanol !!! is your local Model Shop. I got 2 Gallons of "Hi-Proof" Methanol for £11.

Having a higher RON fuel you can increase your ingition advance, and potentially release more power.

keep the peace.

tak

Guest PaulShepherd

I had my Seven rolling road tuned recently by Tom Airey Tuning. Tom told me that the normal unleaded fuel is basically crap - to the extent that BMW have had to replace a lot of engines over the last few years due to damage caused by unleaded fuel. Apparently, they've found particles of metal (from the rings , I think) fused to the bores. He strongly advised that I should use only Super Unleaded, & then only Shell or BP - no cheap stuff.

Guest Takumi

Very interesting..

What about LRP will be a bit better than unleaded.?

I guess it must have hi temp lubricating agents to mimic the action of lead in the upper cylinders..

thnx

tak

BMW's had a problem with fuels that have too much sulphur in them. BMW came up with a "wonderful" process whereby they used a chemical process to harden the Aluminium of the cylinder bores and therefore didn't put steel liners in their engines. This made for lighter engines but...

If there is too much sulphur in the fuel and you draw water into the engine (damp air like we get on the odd occasion in this country) the sulphur becomes sulphuric acid. Now this stuff is corrosive to any metal but it loves reactive metals like Aluminium and since chemical reactions generally happen faster when they are warm (now where inside a petrol engine could we possibly get some heat from) the aluminium of the bores was simply eaten away.

BMW now line most of their engines like everyone else but those with the engines that were made without are warned - don't use cheap fuel. High milers who managed to provoke the problem into occuring during the warranty period were laughing as BMW changed the engines for them. Those who do less mileage get stung as the problem will take four or five years to manifest itself. But still people buy BMW's :huh:

Iain